[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: SSD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alrighty,

I've picked out 2 SSD's I assume will work with my laptop (HP DV6-6C20TX).

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...ubcat=1427

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...=HD-011-CR

Pricewise, there's no difference really, so which 1 is better? From my understanding, I'm thinking the OCZ Agility 4 is the 1 to go for, but yea I have no experience in SSD's Smile

It's going to be used for the OS and games. Now, another question i have is, what is the best way of going about swapping the 2. I have no Boot CD's, only a product key.

Thanks in advance.
On paper, the Agility 4 is faster.

But the people on this site, definantly prefers the Crucial M4, due to early SF controller problems, which the Agility 3 disk had in the beginning of it's life.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2256587

I personally owned the predecessor to the Agility 4 (the Agility 3 Tongue), and I had no problems with it what so ever.
As far as I know, the crucials are the one to go for, they are apparently the most reliable SSD brand out there and they are quick to address bugs and they also provide firmware updates that can improve the performance of the drive (as also stated on the product page of your link). They have also had experience with making RAM, which is pretty much what's in an SSD.
Will get it ordered next week then, how would i go about getting w7 on it with no discs?
You can install Windows 7 from a USB stick, if that's what you mean.
Do I have to buy w7 again?
Not if you aren't changing your motherboard. But you have to reinstall Windows 7 on your new SSD.
Alright, done some research. I need to clone my old HD, or take an image of it, there seems to be some debate about which is better. Anyways, when i clone my old hard drive, I have to copy that to the new 1, yes? Do I need to use another computer and hook the 2 up together and copy it from there? Cant plug 2 drives into my laptop can I? Apologies for my confusion lol.
No that'd be a bad idea imo.
Get a USB-storage device or something, (external HDD, USB stick, alternatively SD card), and backup your most important stuff to that, and just put in the disk, and install W7 from buttom. Will perform much better.
(2012-07-11 17:00)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]No that'd be a bad idea imo.
Get a USB-storage device or something, (external HDD, USB stick, alternatively SD card), and backup your most important stuff to that, and just put in the disk, and install W7 from buttom. Will perform much better.

+1, there are plenty of YT videos showing you how to install from a usb stick if your not sure.

I would also recommend creating a partition for downloads or files you want to keep, this way if for any reason you need to format again, you can format without having to back up again. Creating a partition in Windows 7 is pretty simple, during the installation one of the steps is to choose Upgrade or Custom, choose Custom. On the next screen you should see a single drive of roughly 512gb, delete that then create 2 or as many as you'd like, at what ever size you want them to be. Just be sure to set your windows drive first and make sure its highlighted when you hit next, because your choosing which HDD to install onto. The rest of the installation is straight forward.

I personally have, 64gb for my windows. 300gb for my games, 540 to keep just media, TV and 1080p films Smile, 460 for other Storage and 400 for Downloads. Its good keep organized Thumbup

Hope this helps, it looks like a good HDD and pretty damn cheap. I paid over £100 for my 64gb vertex3, many moons ago now.
Ok, I'm so lost atm, its not funny. If I copy all the files in my C:/Windows folder to this new USB drive, and make it bootable, thats it? (to make windows install itself)

And then backup all my other stuff on an ex hd.
(2012-07-12 08:32)ChrisM Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I'm so lost atm, its not funny. If I copy all the files in my C:/Windows folder to this new USB drive, and make it bootable, thats it? (to make windows install itself)

And then backup all my other stuff on an ex hd.

No. Not at all. You need a Windows 7 DVD or a Windows 7 .iso file. Then you extract it to the USB drive.
Was thinking that. Obviously its easy to find an .iso of w7 these days, but is there no way of using this copy or product code or anything like that. Is there no way of doing it and having a genuine windows?

Ed: Sorry for my lack of knowledge lol, appreciate the help so far Smile
If you look under your notebook, it should say which version of Windows 7 you've got. (probs. Home Premium). So go find an .iso of W7 Home Premium or whatever it says, and when you've installed it, and you have to insert a product key, type in the one under your laptop.
That way you are keeping it legit as well Smile
Reference URL's