[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Plain and simple..

I want a new email account, as I've got an ever increasing list of banking/financial and what not stuff to do, and I'm starting to think my real old hotmail isn't secure enough.

Anyone recommend a decent site, I'm not looking for social crap tbh, just want email.

Thanks guys Smile
I use gmail for private private stuff.. only 3 people got it lol. Use my college email for the crap.
Id recomend Gmail aswell, Nice and simple and secure. Plus its google, so its trust worthy Smile
(2012-08-02 19:00)SLiiDE Wrote: [ -> ]Plus its google, so its trust worthy Smile

I hope that you're being sarcastic.
I use Gmail as well. I have for years and im still satisfied with it Smile
No sarcasm lol, Never had a problem with it, yet ive had two hotmail accounts taken over by spammers. That says something Tongue
I'm guirssing gfmaol is the wayt o go?
(2012-08-02 21:01)SLiiDE Wrote: [ -> ]No sarcasm lol, Never had a problem with it, yet ive had two hotmail accounts taken over by spammers. That says something Tongue

Doesn't say much about the mail service imo, says more about how you act with internet security.
I've been using my hotmail account for like.. 11 years now or something, never had a problem with it.
(2012-08-02 22:14)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-02 21:01)SLiiDE Wrote: [ -> ]No sarcasm lol, Never had a problem with it, yet ive had two hotmail accounts taken over by spammers. That says something Tongue

Doesn't say much about the mail service imo, says more about how you act with internet security.
I've been using my hotmail account for like.. 11 years now or something, never had a problem with it.

I normally would agree and say it was my fault, but the same has happened to at least 4 of my friends. Laugh
Chris, GMail is simple, powerful and secure so long as you keep your details private. I've used GMail for 5 years now and I've had no problems with it at all.

You can forward all of your other mail accounts to your GMail account which is handy when keeping track of all of the EMail addresses you've aquired over the years from uni, work etc.
I've had two hotmail account, both ended up filled with spam. Have had my current Gmail account now for 5 years with no trouble at all, and my second Gmail for crap.
My Gmail is extremely secure. I can monitor what IP addresses have accesed the account over various mediums, I use the phone verification to log in, and I can easily log out from everywhere. Also when I added Gmail to my iPod Touch, I was given a top secret code that enables use from the device. I'm sure there are other services that can provide the same or similar level of security but I like GMail because it's easy Tongue

Fort Knox, anyone?

Speaking of being taken over by spammers, I had to rescue my dad's AOL account from spammers today. Fun.
I agree. Gmail is probably the best you can get. It's the best on every list you can find.

Had gmail for 4 years and never had a problem with it. Wink
You basically have 2 options: GMail, or pay a reputable company.

Hotmail is notorious for being cracked without even needing login details. There's one such email ring going round at the moment. Rarely does a year go by without something similar happening to hotmail. Admittedly, it has (supposedly) been recently re-branded Outlook, but I doubt that'll really make much of a difference.

The only successful attacks on GMail I've heard of have been traditional social engineering, where the attacker gets your login details by some other means. No amount of software based security is going to prevent that, but at least with GMail you can track it. Google are actually pretty damn good at spotting such attacks themselves.
Hehe, can only second that. Also, using an actual email client to access it, in opposite to the web-based interfaces, might not only increase the safety but also the comfort.
I personally use Mozilla Thunderbird on 4 IMAP accounts (work,gmx,2xgmail).

However, if you're not the absolute geek, you should always have some Antivirus software installed, as quite often your own PC is the problem, not the provider.
Alright, off to make a GMail account then, thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated once again.
(2012-08-03 05:57)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I personally use Mozilla Thunderbird on 4 IMAP accounts (work,gmx,2xgmail).

Same. I even have mine connecting to hotmail on POP3, so I don't ever need to use the webmail except to flag spam.
I use Gmail for personal mail, and have access to my work's Exchange server via Thunderbird.
Reference URL's