[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Gfx card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a few of you have already been discussing this in a thread where it doesn't belong, i'm asking it here.

> What gfx card should i get?

specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Six-core Processor (6 CPUs, ~3.3GHz)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
RAM: 8GB (Currently 4GB, 4 to add)
CPU Cooler: Dunno
Storage: 931 GB
Power Supply: Sharkoon WPM 500W (Modular ATX 2.0 Power Supply)

It shouldnt be too expensive, but give it a go, maby i see something good Smile
One I'm using right now is an ASUS ENGTX 560 (got mine for $200). Price is lowering due to the GTX660Ti that just came out. It depends on how much power you want, and how much you want to spend. AMD/Ati's are pretty good, but lack in driver support, which is pretty inconsistent, however, they are the "more bang for the buck" option.
I've got the Asus GTX 560Ti TOP too, running overclocked and can comfortably have BF3 on Ultra settings Smile
Zipppy, is it this one? (Dutch site tho)

http://www.alternate.be/html/product/Gra...5/554799/?
yes, that is the exact one I have. Vee's is the higher end version of mine.
Just some figures on my OC:

Core Frequency 900Mhz > 1015Mhz
Shader Frequency 1800Mhz > 2030Mhz
Memory Frequency 1050Mhz 4.2GHz > 1240Mhz 4.96GHz

Tops out at 63C on BF3 at Ultra
I'm willing to OC mine a bit, what tools do you use Vee?
MSI Afterburner to do mine
looks like I'm already set.
Jappe, what do you want out of your computer? In the other thread you said that you didn't need a gaming computer. If that's true and you still don't think you need one, then the GT 640 or whatever the AMD equivalent would do. If you do want more performance, or maybe you just don't want to upgrade every couple of years, then investing in a 660 Ti would be good since it seems to perform better than a 7950 for less. (From a quick search on Newegg, they had the 7950 for $330 and the 660 Ti for $300, USD).

Currently NVIDIA has the edge for higher end price/performance with the 600 series. AMD is simply trying to keep up with them at this point.
I don't need a gaming pc, but i'd like to have more than 40 fps lol...
GT 640, Problem solved.

NVIDIA's $100 cards usually seem to be able to play any game on lowest settings, most at medium, and few at high. Perfect for LFS. Fine for everything else.
Look for AMD HD 7750 or 7770. 7850 if you can afford it.
(2012-09-02 19:30)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]Look for AMD HD 7750 or 7770. 7850 if you can afford it.

Why not make it easier for Jappe and just recommend a nvidia card? He already has the drivers installed.
lfs is more cpu intensive than gpu, i got 50+fps using just onboard graphics when i took mine out.
(2012-09-02 19:45)Special Wrote: [ -> ]lfs is more cpu intensive than gpu, i got 50+fps using just onboard graphics when i took mine out.

What CPU and iGPU did you have? I struggle to get 25fps on a full TC with my i5 and the Intel HD3000. LFS doesn't use more than 80% of one core (since I've been told endlessly that it's still single threaded, it's using hyperthreading on my system).

A GPU would still benefit LFS anyway. I got a significant performance improvement when I put in my GT 240 (from the 7050 integrated) on my old PC.
Reference URL's