[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Language Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering if the language filter could be updated?

I'm sure many Admins have seen my colorful language *facepalm*.

Maybe there could be more words added to it?

I'm trying to fix my language, I swear.
You make it sound that if you swear/insult and get fined, then it's justified - it's not. Smile

However, some words like "dafuq" should be added. Not words like "idiot" for the aforementioned reason, and also you can say it for fun such as: "aaahhh you idiot crille Tongue"
Quote:I'm trying to fix my language, I swear.

Umm, OK...

I basically 2nd what BP said.
IMO, idiot isn't really that bad, it's very loosly thrown around.

What we have on AA servers, is that if someoen uses bad language in a message and presses Enter to send it, then it doesn't show up in chat. We find this useful becase it makes users think more about what they're saying. We also have it set to remove safety rating (that's another story I'll only explain if asked). So you could set it to fine AND block the message...?
I don't understand how AA can have such a system, it's impossible to block the global chat of messages. Unless, of course you mean PM systems, local systems and such. Basically insim related chats.
lol thats my word BP Biggrin
Well, cant add much.
Filtering, by the actual meaning of the word, is technically impossible, at least in the global chat.
However, there exist two classes of words imo. Such, whose mere presence is disturbing to others, regardless of the context, as the F word for instance, and those, who only become bad depending on the actual usage. "idiot" for instance, "gee, im such an idiot" wont be much disturbing to others.
Terms like "fuu" or "dafuq" will definitely get into the insim-fine-list soon as they only represent mutated forms of the F word.
What about abbreviations, such as WTF ?
I personally don't see a problem with 'wtf'.

I do see a minor problem when it's directed like 'WTF are you doing?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?'. But if it's like 'wtf happened Ohmy' or something, then it's more acceptable. Same with "ffs".
I don't see the point of having a swear filter in the first place, as it keeps bad words from those that already know and use them for ages.

And on a few occasions especially when words are borderline it comes down to the admins decission and those can vary from person to person.

So -1
(2012-10-07 08:25)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]I personally don't see a problem with 'wtf'.

But you see a problem with 'dafuq', now that doesn't make sense at all to me. Because it has the same meaning.

'dafuq was that', 'dafuq is ur doing man'.. There's just impossible to see that word as offensive and directive word to an invidual.
(2012-10-07 08:50)NVK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-07 08:25)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]I personally don't see a problem with 'wtf'.

But you see a problem with 'dafuq', now that doesn't make sense at all to me. Because it has the same meaning.

'dafuq was that', 'dafuq is ur doing man'.. There's just impossible to see that word as offensive and directive word to an invidual.

"fuq" is too similar to the original word, I think you know that too.
(2012-10-07 08:51)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]"fuq" is too similar to the original word, I think you know that too.

Then you should be adding 'fuq', and not 'dafuq'. It's the same reason as you have 'fu*k' in the swear filter, but not 'WTF', because it represents the F-word aswell.
I think we can see here why language filters don't work well in the first place.

Swear words have been too well implemented in meme cartoons or short words that it's quite impossible to figure out where to put the line.
(2012-10-07 08:54)NVK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-07 08:51)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]"fuq" is too similar to the original word, I think you know that too.

Then you should be adding 'fuq', and not 'dafuq'. It's the same reason as you have 'fu*k' in the swear filter, but not 'WTF', because it represents the F-word aswell.

I'm having troubles getting my head around what your point is exactly.

wtf - F = we all know what it means, but only a quarter of the word is there
dafuq - FUQ = we all know what that means agains, and it's almost three quarters of the word (Q being a sub for c/k)

And if you added 'fuq' to the swear filter, 'dafuq' would be in it too automatically.
"dafuq" is not even English
(2012-10-07 08:59)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]I think we can see here why language filters don't work well in the first place.

They do work well to a certain extent. The most used and common swear words should be on the list, as they do remind you to watch over your language. Without it people would be swearing continuously on the servers, as soon an admin isn't in present. And that would lead to a bunch of extra unneeded reports to deal with, consume yet more time from the admins.

But theres no way we can stop all people from swearing, and fine everyone for it as it's always going to come new and remodeled ones. But with the choice of being fined or keep a clean mouth, most people choose the 2nd as there's no outcome from it..
Ye, I think it does work quite well. The thing is that language changes over time, or in this very case, degenerates.
(2012-10-07 09:03)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]And if you added 'fuq' to the swear filter, 'dafuq' would be in it too automatically.

Didn't think about that.

But yeah, i do understand what your saying, but i still don't see 'dafuq' as an directive and offensive swear word. As it is more reminded and seen as with 'WTF'.

(2012-10-07 09:08)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]"dafuq" is not even English

Since when did we started to care from what origin they come from?
Swearing is always swearing, no matter in what language you are using..
(2012-10-07 09:29)NVK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-07 09:08)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]"dafuq" is not even English

Since when did we started to care from what origin they come from?
Swearing is always swearing, no matter in what language you are using..

I just pointed out there are 2 reasons for not using it Wink
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's