[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Spamming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been fined and kicked for spamming. I lost my chase. Without any warnings. I check the forums everyday and I didn't see anything about a change of insim update about it either.

Here is how it happened. I am chasing a car and his buddy is following us. I used my dont follow chases bind for the first time. He keeps doing it. I use it again after a time passed by. I got fined for it. Of course its a little tiny colorless text on my screen i didnt realised it. Suspects friend keep following us so i used it 2 times in a row maybe in case he didnt see it in the chat so he clearly sees it this time. I got kicked with a wtf expression on my face and thats the time i saw it in the chat that i was fined for it and was kicked for using it 3 or 4 times in 1 minute.

My question is. When did this change happened? Why i didn't saw it in forums or anywhere? Why is it so strictly used? Because i said it like 5 times in 1 minute or more and it wasn't that frequent either.
The spam system is still undergoing testing. At the moment it is probably a little strict however changes should be applied over the coming days.
-Implemented auto-fine for spamming

What do you guys call spamming ? , like can there be 2 seconds between a sense ?
(2012-10-17 16:54)Speed Wrote: [ -> ]-Implemented auto-fine for spamming

What do you guys call spamming ? , like can there be 2 seconds between a sense ?

Although many people have many different definitions for spam, I think many people would agree, in this context, it means the same message over and over. The current system, however, also deems spam as long messages fully capitalised, or possibly the same message twice in quick succession. I would agree that it's a bit harsh but as Lamp said, tweaks will probably be made in the upcoming days.
From what I understand, it is more than a system that looks at how many lines of text are input in a certain amount of time.

It works on a points system, where different kinds of sentences and words/letters (I think) work out toan amount of points.
I used my bind for 1 time only. I was this: DON'T FOLLOW / OVERTAKE THE CHASE! YOU MIGHT GET BANNED! It's a combo bind for 2 things as you can see. It directly fined me for saying this.

I checked and I said that a total of 4 times. With time in between from the 1st 2nd and the 3rt and 4th ones. Than i said it 2 times in a row after that when he continued to do it.

Maybe i should change it to lower case and colorless. So noone sees it in a chases adrenaline rush..

I think it should say stop spamming like it says stop for police.

And maybe there should be a command like !dfollow thats says dont follow to the car behind you and should warn a TC if he doesn't. But that thing needs a topic on its own I guess.
Actually Coil whilst I think a kick may have been abit harsh I've to say I think I prefer this system.

The reason being is that if a suspect is following your chase it's not a reason to spam, give a warning.. maybe wait for him to read it then another a little after if he continues but not straight away.

Beyond that you definitely know that he has read the bind and is choosing to ignore it, at which point the course of action should be to report the player rather than spam a bind that is not having an effect on the player.
I don't like too much spam either however in the case of a car not moving or interfering with a chase it can be a appropriate tool to prevent or stop that behaviour in different ways.

2-3 lines looking the same are far more recognizable than just one single line.

It can get the attention of an admin, which especially mouse, keyboard users appreciate since in a fast chase it isn't possible for them to chat while driving.

While i agree that the initial system is quite good, it would be helpful if this system were more lenient for cops.
(2012-10-17 17:43)Tommer Wrote: [ -> ]Actually Coil whilst I think a kick may have been abit harsh I've to say I think I prefer this system.

The reason being is that if a suspect is following your chase it's not a reason to spam, give a warning.. maybe wait for him to read it then another a little after if he continues but not straight away.

Beyond that you definitely know that he has read the bind and is choosing to ignore it, at which point the course of action should be to report the player rather than spam a bind that is not having an effect on the player.

Yeah i said it 2 times. With time between them. Than with time passed i said it 2 times again in a row this time. I wasnt doing it like

DON'T FOLLOW / OVERTAKE THE CHASE! YOU MIGHT GET BANNED!

and i wasnt aware of i was being fined for it and i was going to get kicked for it.

I don't like spamming like this either.

(2012-10-17 17:56)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like too much spam either however in the case of a car not moving or interfering with a chase it can be a appropriate tool to prevent or stop that behaviour in different ways.

2-3 lines looking the same are far more recognizable than just one single line.

It can get the attention of an admin
, which especially mouse, keyboard users appreciate since in a fast chase it isn't possible for them to chat while driving.

While i agree that the initial system is quite good, it would be helpful if this system were more lenient for cops.

Exactly my toughts in bold.
I like how cops get fined for typing !move twice in a row, even when I'm on the grass and practically stopped. Only a thought, but maybe it should be left as strict as it is now for a few weeks, so everyone who doesn't read the forum gets the hint they shouldn't spam. Hate it or love it, i guess.
A couple of parts of the points system that are relevant to this case:

More CAPS means more points.
If the message is the same as your previous message (this check has a timeout) the points for the new message are *tripled* - repeated messages within the timeout are 99.9% likely to be spam.

The system is somewhat more complicated than that, but those two parts will easily have meant that your message(s) got you into spam trouble - the second time you said it was beyond the timeout, but the third time (which happened within 1s of the second time) would for sure have generated a massive amount of spam points.

The system is designed such that if you physically type messages, you are very unlikely to get into spam trouble due to the time it takes to actually type.
However, obtrusive things such as many messages, repeated messages, using multiple binds and speaking in CAPS will likely get you in spam trouble.
Reference URL's