[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Helicopter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With regards to the latest roleplay additions and chase system changes, I thought I'd put a little idea of mine I had here, like it, hate it, idk Smile

To explain the concept quickly and simply;

1. Each server gets 1 Helicopter
  2. The Helicopter's fuel is funded by Speedtrap Fines
  3. Every 20 Euros in Speedtrap Fines = 1 minute of flight time in fuel.
  4. The Helicopter can load a maximum of 60 minutes fuel
  5. If a Police chase lasts over 5 mins, the helicopter (if it has enough fuel) is dispatched to the chase and 'arrives' after 2 minutes
  6. When it arrives, all cops can see the present location of the suspect including cop 1 and also including when all cops are further than 250m
  7. The Helicopter must land when it only has 2 minutes of fuel left (time for travelling back to the 'base'
  8. The Helicopter cannot fly from chase to chase, everytime it is finished with 1 chase it must return to base, refuel, and then travel to the next chase (2min travel+ 1 min refuel + 2 min travel = 5 minute wait between each chase assuming it has the funds)

It might sound complicated at first but what ends up happening is that a new gameplay element for the suspect occurs; they've a chance a helicopter will follow them for a while, leading the cops to them.

The effect of this is, if you don't lose the cops quickly, you become less likely to lose them as the heat turns up from the helicopter, but if you keep going long enough even the helicopter will run out of fuel, and you will have worn down the cops enough to have another chance to lose them.

It's also a possibility of a fix for the endless question of where the speed trap fines go, and makes the new tracker transition a little less extreme because, if even i'm now finding chases a challenge, I bet the starter cops are pretty much feeling a bit hopeless now Tongue

Just a suggestion
If the InSim can be written for it, I think it'd be an awesome idea, and a good 'middle ground' for the 'disagreement' over the removal of the suspect distance/location from [COP] InSim
in terms of the idea it self, I really like it - it is certainly realistic.

However, one thing I like about the new workings of the LEAS is that it gives suspects a it more of a chance to escape, which this is effectively taking away and giving us the old system back but for a small fee.

Either way I like this suggestion.
Should also make it an option to call in the heli, and not make it join automaticly.
(2012-10-28 22:16)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]However, one thing I like about the new workings of the LEAS is that it gives suspects a it more of a chance to escape, which this is effectively taking away and giving us the old system back but for a small fee.

Well the idea was that you could tweak the numbers so the heli averages out to be present about 50% of the chase so the suspects still do have more of a chance to escape but the cops are less thrown in the deep end also Smile
This sound Crazy when u think about it, But would take the chases to a hole new level Smile
But how do you wanna make the helicopter when it actually is not there ? Smile

+1 for the idea so far
Another one of Tommer's crazy ideas but i like it!

But i think the chase should be going on a little bit longer for the helicopter to be called, 15? 20 minutes?
One more step towards turning LFS into NFS. lol

+1
Funnily enough, Chuck and I were briefly discussing something similar (minus the bit about fuel) a few days ago when working out how to make the locator less cheaty.
There's another thing we have to remember, too -- there's sometimes many more than 1 chase going on, so the helicopter should be an 'on demand' sort of resource, and we have to make sure that it's not one you can call willy-nilly any time you want just because. You gotta NEED it, and pay for it. Something to restrict it's usage, basically.
(2012-10-29 00:00)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]Funnily enough, Chuck and I were briefly discussing something similar (minus the bit about fuel) a few days ago when working out how to make the locator less cheaty.
Even more funny is that there has been a !helo command even in the very first Insim version 2007. It wasn't coded though, but the idea has already been there.
I like it Smile +1 Atleast its worth trying, you guys should make it, put it on for a week or two, and then I could really say do I like it not. And most people I guess ofc too Tongue It's hard to think how it would work in a chase from here. Biggrin But yes, definetly YES.

(2012-10-29 00:37)railker Wrote: [ -> ]There's another thing we have to remember, too -- there's sometimes many more than 1 chase going on, so the helicopter should be an 'on demand' sort of resource, and we have to make sure that it's not one you can call willy-nilly any time you want just because. You gotta NEED it, and pay for it. Something to restrict it's usage, basically.

Agree with this.
+1, should get a test time Smile

Adding the thing that it should be called manually from a command if actually needed, and it would be available after 5 minutes and available only for once. (Pretty much mentioned already)
Also the idea brings more fun og realistic to set up a speedtrap somewhere now and then Smile
So you always will have the heli available, And more speedtrap might get people to slow down at same time, really like this idea.
Sounds well thought out; would definately make chases more interesting and keep everyone on their toes. As I haven't yet had the chance to be a cop yet, I guess we'll get some proper feedback. I imagine it being tough without the GPS, the 'helicopter' would give rookies a little bit more of a fighting chance.

+1 Tommer

P.S. If I may add something, you could add a message that when the 'Helicopter' is dispatched, it broadcasts in [COP] chat ''Helicopter unit dispatched. Allow 1 minute for it to arrive'' - or similar.

Another little idea, like the !backup system: Cop 1 should be the only one able to call the Helicopter out if we go for a command rather than an automatic dispatch. The command could be !heli (or as chuck said; !helo).
Reference URL's