[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: InSim taking money for speeding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Going from Lower Hillside to Pond lane in my RB4 flat out, I managed to lose 180 euros. I don't get why the InSim must take money for speeding, surely this is the job of the COP?
The InSim taking money encourages safer driving. Cops can't and won't be on all the time, so leaving it to the cops probably isn't the best option.
Lol, you'd rather get 180 instead?
Chuck, I wasn't inferring you should earn money for speeding. If it goes to 0 I'm fine with that, but taking money I feel is a little too strict...

But BP, it's taking way too much money. I mean I only probably drove <1.5km before I lost 180. Isn't that too much? Think of the average driver, they'd probably need a couple thousand before getting a good run.
If you don't like the idea of loosing money, then slow down; these speed traps then won't affect you in any shape or form.
People are already speeding enough and yet they get richer and richer.
and how about if you are in a chase ? i think you should get ''0'' then to just like the cops, not that i'm a robber all of the time or something, but i think it's a bit unfair. just like the speedtrap, if you are in chase, it should be not able to fine you if you are in chase.
This is a cruise server, your supposed to cruise and follow the speed limit in order to get maximum money. If you choose to speed then of course you will lose money, not get rewarded money.
Got to agree with Chuck, it's not hard to earn ~200€ after a longer chase+fine in a TBO, but on the other hand it's painful as hell to see a -50 per 5 seconds or more when speeding, so why not limit it?
If it's painful, slow down a few mph Wink

You don't start losing money at all for speeding, unless you're going at least ~30% over the limit. There are very few places where you can lose anything like that much in a road car (doing nearly twice the speed limit on Hillside Road is one of them).

You don't have to stick to the speed limit to still gain money, and you can go quite a way over and still keep to a net +0 over a lap. There are one or two tracks where you can drive flat out in a TBO and still gain on average.

There are a couple of theories behind the way we do money loss for excessive speeding:
1. It encourages a mix of speeds. People are discouraged from driving flat out all the time. People have to earn the money by driving close to the limit to be able to drive at dangerous speeds for any significant length of time.
2. Less experienced drivers (whether new to our layouts or LFS in general) typically have much less money than those who've been around for a while. Losing money while driving at dangerous speeds discourages them from driving beyond their experience.

Also, losing a lot for driving *very* fast discourages people from driving the race cars all the time.
I remember how I lost over €1,500,000 total from speeding.

Loong time since then though haha.

€180 is nothing. Smile
It's been like this since the start of the insim and I don't see this changing any time soon.
Loosing 50€ for around 5 seconds is not really much at all, since there are only a few roads that will have that affect on your car unless you drive a gtr of course. So if you don't have a big fine for speeding in those locations the average money loss would be minimal and the affect of people abiding the speed limit non existent.

I can't remember the last time i slowed down to save money, so for me personally the fines are still quite low.
Reference URL's