[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Steering Wheels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm looking to enhance my LFS experience from a joystick onto wheel and pedals.

Can you recommend me any good ones please that are not relatively expensive?

Thanks! Daniel
How much money are we talking?
Erm. Say upto £100. £120 tops. =)
I'd say spare a bit more and buy Driving Force GT or Logitech G27. G27 is at least twice your budget though, but it's more than worth it. I've had it for a while, then i sold it due to losing interest in using it, but i will probably buy it sometime this month again.

If not, i'd look for a used Logitech G25 / G27, they are great wheels. But be carfeul, if you are buying a used one, becouse some of them might be worn out.
I know about the budget issue but if you can get yourself a g25/27. I will tell you from personal experience that once you're good with it you will have a huge advantage over other drivers.

The wheel will be difficult at first and you may even feel hopeless learning to use a H-Shifter and Clutch but it's like learning to ride a bike.

The thing about the G25/7 is that once you're good at it, you've an extra degree of control over the car that will give you an edge over other drivers.

EG, with control of the clutch you can control engine braking around corners, stop quicker, jump from gear 6 to 3 without having to shift 3 times, if you've the skill in an fz you can jump into reverse whilst going forward to turn the car around which is twice as fast as a handbreak turn and takes 1/2 the space on the road.

The extra degrees of rotation mean that you can more closely match your steering to the curvature of the track and the ffb is nice so you know when you're about to push the car too hard before you enter a spin.

The list of reasons to get a g25/7 goes on but I felt it needed to be said.
(2012-12-03 00:08)Tommer Wrote: [ -> ]I know about the budget issue but if you can get yourself a g25/27. I will tell you from personal experience that once you're good with it you will have a huge advantage over other drivers.

It's true, that once you master it, it isn't much harder than using any other controller. However, i still think, that if you compare for example a good mouse user with a good wheel user, mouse would win in more cases. There are exceptions of course, i know a few players that are faster than anything with their G27, but i am talking about my overall opinion here.

For example, i know that Nieldo was using a mouse and i know for a fact, that he was one of the best cops ever. Shame that he is not active anymore. Also Rifo, i don't know whether he is still using mouse, but at least when he did, he was an insane cop aswell. Then there is Bill aswell, who is one hell of a cop, with mouse. It is about the reactions, you can react so much faster with mouse, than someone with 720 or even 900 degrees wheel.

But then again, there are people like Wolf, Elmo and some others, who i know that are insane with their G27. So i'd say that it's just about mastering it. However, it takes a lot of practice, for G27 to compare with mouse.
As above G25/G27, has such a high calibre. No other choice in my mind, if you use it that much it is worth the investment.
(2012-12-03 00:23)Mr. NB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-03 00:08)Tommer Wrote: [ -> ]I know about the budget issue but if you can get yourself a g25/27. I will tell you from personal experience that once you're good with it you will have a huge advantage over other drivers.

It's true, that once you master it, it isn't much harder than using any other controller. However, i still think, that if you compare for example a good mouse user with a good wheel user, mouse would win in more cases. There are exceptions of course, i know a few players that are faster than anything with their G27, but i am talking about my overall opinion here.

For example, i know that Nieldo was using a mouse and i know for a fact, that he was one of the best cops ever. Shame that he is not active anymore. Also Rifo, i don't know whether he is still using mouse, but at least when he did, he was an insane cop aswell. Then there is Bill aswell, who is one hell of a cop, with mouse. It is about the reactions, you can react so much faster with mouse, than someone with 720 or even 900 degrees wheel.

But then again, there are people like Wolf, Elmo and some others, who i know that are insane with their G27. So i'd say that it's just about mastering it. However, it takes a lot of practice, for G27 to compare with mouse.

Is LFS about being insanely good or about having the most fun?
(2012-12-03 01:38)Malibu Wrote: [ -> ]Is LFS about being insanely good or about having the most fun?

Depends on who you ask, but for me, it is defenetly about having fun. This is why i am using mouse most of the time, since this is where i get most of it.
Thanks for the great reviews guys, especially Tommer. I am going to look into getting the Logitech G25. Thanks again. Smile
Be aware that the G25 is quite old and has a weak shifter. You won't be able to find a brand new one, and any second hand one with a well used shifter will likely have problems sooner or later.

Same goes for the G27's shifter, they've fixed some of the issues by removing the sequential mode, but it still has problems with age.
I never had one of my 3 G25 long enough to notice any gearbox problems with them but since my G27 suffered a problem with its gearbox after almost 2 years I'm pretty sure a second hand G25 may get some problems. If you find a pretty much unused second hand G25 then you could go for one of those but if you could get some more money and buy a brand new G27 you get brilliant customer support from Logitech. When I complained that my 3rd G25 smelled a bit burnt after heavy use they sent me a brand new G27 and now this summer when the gearbox started to act up they sent me a brand new G27 again!
If £120 is your budget, go for a brand new Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT) or get a "used once" one from EBay.

Great wheel, had no problems with mine as yet and I've had it nearly a year.
(2012-12-04 18:21)Lampshade Wrote: [ -> ]If £120 is your budget, go for a brand new Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT) or get a "used once" one from EBay.

Great wheel, had no problems with mine as yet and I've had it nearly a year.

This. I love my DFGT. Though I'm using a G27 right now, I still have it packed away ready for the day this dies. What is amazing is all the buttons... my god could I do so much with that one wheel. It also helped that I used G25 pedals and shifter, but the wheel is exceptionally amazing, the only thing that sucks is the pedals.
Reference URL's