[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Suggestion for a law/rule [moving for chases]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
theres always a problem of people getting in the way of chases, e.g. when you need to turn but on coming traffic comming.

so i was thinking, can there be a rule or law saying

"if you see sirens slow down or pull over, even if its comming towards you"

because people do it in real life, and it would be easier for police because there would be hardly anything slowing you down, unless theres another chace, or someone dont know the rules
1.5 Wrote:1.5. Stay away from chases.
Let suspects and cops pass and give them room for manoeuvring. Do not follow or overtake chases. If a chase gets closer, stay passive, slow down and wait until the situation is over. Do not help the suspect or the police.

1.15 Wrote:1.15. Visual sirens:
Visual sirens indicate cops are in pursuit of a suspect. You are expected to reduce your speed and approach with caution.

These rules cover this situation already. People are expected to slow down for sirens regardless of their direction.
Is there anyway you could implement a siren sound when a visual siren is getting near as it would make drivers more aware, and when driving lots of things pop up, and the visual siren doesn't show up, where as a lound sound would make others alert to the cop. Is there anyway this could work?
(2012-12-12 15:47)Kieran Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyway you could implement a siren sound when a visual siren is getting near as it would make drivers more aware, and when driving lots of things pop up, and the visual siren doesn't show up, where as a lound sound would make others alert to the cop. Is there anyway this could work?
I'm not even sure if thats possible with the insim, but i would say that the audible sirens from the cars should be enough anyway. You could eventually install a louder siren, if needed.
(2012-12-12 15:51)Ras Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-12 15:47)Kieran Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyway you could implement a siren sound when a visual siren is getting near as it would make drivers more aware, and when driving lots of things pop up, and the visual siren doesn't show up, where as a lound sound would make others alert to the cop. Is there anyway this could work?
I'm not even sure if thats possible with the insim, but i would say that the audible sirens from the cars should be enough anyway. You could eventually install a louder siren, if needed.

I don't think a louder siren helps because of the way lfs handles sound. You'll notice for example if you sit in the pits and listen to people passing, the sound of the engine does not completely 'fade in' it very suddenly starts at a certain distance away from where you are.

In other words, lfs seems to have a set limit to how far away you can hear sound from inside your car.
well.. could it be enforced more? because people are always getting in the way of chaces on round-a-bouts and corners and stuff
It is being enforced, but we can't take action against things we don't see or nobody reports to us via forums or similar. Even when we're on the server we can't always spectate everybody, so if there's a TC online and something like this happens tell him via !tc-chat. If there's no TC online just do a forum report and it will be taken care of.
(2012-12-12 20:47)Minniyer Wrote: [ -> ]well.. could it be enforced more? because people are always getting in the way of chaces on round-a-bouts and corners and stuff

The siren is basically the order to clear the way. It's not a guarantee that you're the only one on the road and can blast though junctions and crossings without caring for anything. Civilian traffic just happens to be on the server too, like it does IRL too.
We have fine for "Failed to move for emergency vehicle" or something like this. I think this is useless because cop can't do !leave and start chasing another car. Maybe there can be something like !reqchase <username> which will other cops see and it gives them permission to chase this car.

Same for Failed to slow down for caution/hazard.
(2012-12-16 19:16)nonder Wrote: [ -> ]We have fine for "Failed to move for emergency vehicle" or something like this. I think this is useless because cop can't do !leave and start chasing another car. Maybe there can be something like !reqchase <username> which will other cops see and it gives them permission to chase this car.

Same for Failed to slow down for caution/hazard.

1st one is open for abuse. Cops can't fine someone for something they didn't see them doing themselves.

When there's 1 or more TOW/MED/COP on an accident scene, surely if someone comes way too fats and causes or nearmisses the crash there, you can go after him. (I've done this couple of times, classified as Dangerous driving)
Audible sirens are useless. I can't hear them no matter how close they are unless it's literally drafting me. The insim ones are slow to appear, even after being improved.

The current rules are vague enough to cover anything.
(2012-12-17 03:00)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]Audible sirens are useless. I can't hear them no matter how close they are unless it's literally drafting me. The insim ones are slow to appear, even after being improved.

The current rules are vague enough to cover anything.

It depends if you use a modified sound for horn 5. There is one that I had to remove because it was actually too loud.

http://city-driving.co.uk/downloads/ -> Police Siren Pack - (Recommended)

You'd probably hear them from a while off.
Civilian cars have right of way at junctions, for example if your coming out of snake pass onto highway 1. The civilian has right of way and you should treat it as such.

Yes the civilain should slow down, and give way but only if its safe to do so. You cant go racing through like a bull in a china shop and moan at the civilian for being in the way.

The rules are enforced strictly, if you find anyone not following the rules make a forum report.
(2012-12-17 03:00)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]Audible sirens are useless. I can't hear them no matter how close they are unless it's literally drafting me. The insim ones are slow to appear, even after being improved.

Your siren sound may be too quiet as already suggested, or your engine too loud (either in the editor or master volume).
LFS' sounds aren't as loud as they usually are IRL, but they do carry a reasonable distance. They are actually better than some medic sirens are in the UK, which behave as you describe.

The visual siren is displayed when you are within 300m(!) and updates every second. Unless you're lagging, and/or driving dangerously, you should have plenty of time to at least react in a suitable way if required in the vast majority of situations.

(2012-12-17 03:00)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]The current rules are vague enough to cover anything.

The English language is vague. If we were to make the rules precisely cover every possible situation, they'd take up 37 volumes written entirely in legalese and you'd need a battalion of lawyers to make any sense of it.

The phrases "within reason" and "common sense" apply. You are expected to make a reasonable effort to leave sufficient room for chases and not deliberately impede them. This isn't always possible to do immediately. You're not expected to blindly leap off the road at the first whisper of a siren.
I didn't say that the current rules are bad, I just said they're vague (in a sufficient way).

I typically use the default engine sound and have the volume set at a level where I can hear the engine well.
Reference URL's