[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Mega - [Megaupload successor]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The successor to MegaUpload is up, has anyone used it yet?
the link to it is https://mega.co.nz/

Here is an article about it on Gizmodo.
http://gizmodo.com/5977163/hands-on-with...ht-forever
I think the idea is genius, and I'll probably be using it in the future Smile
I tried making an account with my Hotmail address, I haven't gotten an activation email yet. It turns out that I'm not the only one with this issue.
Tried registering but page just kept refreshing so didn't bother.
I don't see how this is any different from mediafire or dropbox.
Well, registration worked but some things are odd. The upload is not working for me, for instance, but the more interesting thing is, they say that all data is encrypted and they do not have the key to decrypt them. I fail to see how this is working since I don't have the key either. If I log-in with a different PC, how does that pc get the key to de/encrypt the files? The only answer would be that the key must be stored on the server, that means also that anyone having access to the server does also have access to the keys.
So that would render their whole concept pointless.

The idea is not new btw. Wuala uses client-side encryption, but they require Java to de/crypt files.
Chuck Wrote:The only answer would be that the key must be stored on the server, that means also that anyone having access to the server does also have access to the keys.
So that would render their whole concept pointless.

That's what I was thinking, in order to log into the site they must store a password, the same as they must store the encryption key, unless that key doesn't specifically reference a file, in which case they're pretty much covered.
I'm also curious to actually see the concept in action, I haven't seen it work to be honest.

Still baffled. The site is in an open BETA supposedly.
Mega Website Wrote:I have forgotten my password. Can I reset it?

Unfortunately, your MEGA password is not just a password - it is the master encryption key to all of your data. If you lose it, you lose access to all of your files that are not in a shared folder and that you have no previously exported file or folder key for.

Well, there you go. Doesn't answer all questions but at least one.

Example Download: Elmo's LED Lights:

LED Lights.rar (831 KB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!zRM1QKoK!Ly0Afx9l9D...vcoZ6VpM20
(2013-01-22 07:10)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how this is any different from mediafire or dropbox.

Encryption.
Mediafire isn't, dropbox is as good as unencrypted as the staff have access to the decryption keys.

Mega is, in theory, much more secure than nearly all of these kinds of service, however there are some implementation issues.
Good idea but i doubt i be using it, looks bloated!!
I wouldn't use is for personal things either, but if it helps copying non-personal large files (ie lfs replays), why not? We could also host there things for TC, skin packs etc. if the download is not much of a burden. (ie not plastered with ad banners, pop-ups, captchas, waiting queues and slow download rates)

Edit;

BTW. If you're interested, there's no coincidence that his name is "Kim Dotcom" Wink

http://kim.com/
He knows how to put on a show Tongue
he surely does.
and hes right. i would pay money (lets say < 3USGreedy to stream a movie in good quality and speed without any subscription.
Even for Movies i wouldnt go to the cinema or buy on DVD / Blu ray otherwise. instead of using the market that is there they try to force the customer in old fashioned consumer habits.

Just recently i was looking for the new episodes of a discovery channel TV show. Of course i dont have pay TV and all they offer on the website is a timetable for the broadcast and 3 min trailers for the episodes with a forced 30 sec commercial before each one. if they charged 1 $ instead, i would have propably payaed that.
Reference URL's