[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: New (a lot faster) fiber networking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/151...cy-records

Researchers created a new fiber network which operates at 99.7% of speed of light.
Data transfer rate: 73.7 terabits per second — roughly 10 terabyte per second

Though it's probably only gonna used inside datacentres in near future.
Nice, maybe now we can FINALLY get the OLD fiber networking to my town lol.. Tongue
Well, for that 10 terabytes per second to have any relevance, we need storage that is equally as fast (and big enough), otherwise it's just a massive waste.
(2013-03-31 15:36)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, maybe now we can FINALLY get the OLD fiber networking to my town lol.. Tongue

I'm tired of the cable company ripping me off with copper wire.
Tell me about it Zippy. I had to get on the internet via ADSL1 (outdated hardware ftw) till last year. Fibre is out of the question, and Cable, well, never could convice my father to upgrade.

Last year my ex-ISP (horrribbleeeee) swapped the local central finally with a vDSL+ one, wich made my internet go from 6mb/s to 30mb/s. Half a year later, you can guess it, we swapped vDSL to Cable.

ADSL stats: 6.70mbit/s down, 0.8mbit/s up, ping of 50 - 70 to a local (here in Holland) server. Contract being "up to" 20mbit/s down and 1 up.

VDSL+ stats: at first 25mbit/s down, and 2.7mbit/s up with a ping of 25ms - 35ms to a local server here in Holland. Shortly after they raised the "step in" speed to 30mbit/s, while the upload didn't change. Contract didn't change. Long story short, I complained, and had problems for over 4 years. Because of that, they swapped me to vDSL+ for free of charge, and the contract wouldn't change. (So we paid 20€ for 30mbit down, 3mbit up. Effectively we had 28mbit down and 2.8mbit up)

Cable stats: 40mbit/s down, 4mbit/s up, ping of 11ms . As I had no indication of the speedloss there is to the front door, I rang 'em up, and got convinced that I'd atleast have about 90% of the contract speed. Wich isn't to bad, wich would mean I would have about 36mbit down, and about 3.6mbit/s up.

Effectively:

[Image: 2613748784.png]
(2013-03-31 15:55)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]Well, for that 10 terabytes per second to have any relevance, we need storage that is equally as fast (and big enough), otherwise it's just a massive waste.

Questionable logic. If you ask me, Speed of light transfers = no lag in realtime sensitive environments EG, games, video conferencing. Short time transfers = Increased productivity in a world that relies on the internet to keep it's economy strong. Just because you have a fast data connection does not mean you need to download the entire internet to enjoy it.
Here's what I'm getting now. Paying for "the fastest connection in the region". My aging Android Phone's 3G connection gets more than that. I'm supposed to get at least 10 times the speed/bandwidth.

[Image: 2613936464.png]
For reference, here's what the ISP offers. I'm on the "Extreme" package.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?...ER_HISPEED

Providers should focus on getting fiber to the masses, or at least fixing their connections.

I'm all for fiber, shame not everyone here has access to it.
Pretty average here, fibre optic available but too expensive Tongue

[Image: 2614252469.png]
I get 1.1Mb/s Download while average should be at least 30 Mb/s....
I get around 3.7mb/s on average downloads
Reference URL's