[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: [Tutorial] Better Graphics! (ENBSeries + FXAA Injector)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
* BACKUP YOUR LFS FOLDER BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. YOU WON'T REGRET IT IF YOU MESS UP! *

If anything is hard to understand I will try to re-phrase it, just drop a comment below! :)

Hey!

It's been a long time since I've been active in the [TC] community, and even the LFS community itself. :( But it's time to do something about that. :)

Here we will do two different things. First, we will use Nvidia Inspector to optimize our game. Secondly, we will install the ENB Series tool and the FXAA Injector for shaders and post processing, making our game look way better!

1. Use Nvidia Inspector to maximize performance!

Nvidia Inspector is a tool that sets all driver settings so that the game will run at its best without any graphical sacrifice. Sadly, as the name of the program suggests, it's only for Nvidia GPUs.

Click to download Nvidia Inspector..

Step 1. Open it and click the Driver button.

[Image: 3ZG7F.png]

Step 2. Find "Live For Speed" in the dropdown menu.

[Image: 3ZGDG.png]

Step 3. Click [Image: 3ZGGe.png] and navigate to LFS.exe

Step 4. Now press [Image: 3ZGJS.png], and you're done!

Do this with all your games if you want to, I notice HUGE fps boosts in new demanding games!

2. Install ENBSeries and FXAA Injector!

ENBSeries is a tool that uses DirectX libraries to modify the ingame shaders and lightning.
FXAA Injector is an overlay (yes, like Steam or Xfire) and does not actually modify any game values or settings, but instead reads the image and modifies it.

Both ENBSeries and FXAA Injector are perfectly fine to use for LFS multiplayer in any server, and always will!

Note: The graphics enchancements will not be for everyone. If you can barely run the game at 60 fps, you probably shouldn't do this. But if you can run the game at over 100 fps steady, you shouldn't have ANY problem with this mod (Any Geforce GTX card or AMD equivalent should be enough). Also, I've talked with admins; all of the following mods are allowed on [TC] servers and will not get you banned.

Since ENBs are so hard to make, we are going to download a preset. You can search the web for ENBs yourself, but in this case we're going to use "Graphic Override" by Dave (wdowa94) which has all the files we need.

Click to download.

1. Extract the content of the "MAIN FILES" folder into your LFS directory. For example; C:\Program Files (x86)\LFS\

2. Extract one of the settings too. As far as I've seen, theres no significant graphical changes nor performance hits between the five presets, pick what you like.

3. RECOMMENDED: When you first install your ENB, it will have Ambient Occlusion (really demanding shadow algorithm) and a really annoying blur effect enabled. Please replace the ENBSeries.ini file in your LFS folder with this (clicky), thanks.

So your LFS folder should look something like this:

[Image: 3ZI5H.png]

4. You're technically done, but you should download some texture packs and/or road textures. You can find some really nice road textures in the [TC] download section: http://city-driving.co.uk/downloads/ (opens new window).

Uninstallation: Delete the files you dropped into the LFS folder.

OPTIONAL: Some people don't like the FXAA antialiasing, so in Nvidia Inspector you can select between loads of different AA settings for better image quality.

For settings:

Hope you guys enjoy your enhanced game! I really don't have alot more to add and its getting late.. :p

Cya on the servers! ~

/
Run1e
This could be very useful to people with limited knowledge of these things, thanks for the contribution Smile

About the poll though, in reality it's not a very straightforward thing. The fact is that Live For Speed has badly outdated graphics. HOWEVER, I don't want the devs to change them. Sufficiently low graphics mean that the game is accessible even on older/budget computers..

What I would love is if the devs could just embrace the modding community (they should, we have given LFS life support for so many years already) and optimize the engine for higher resolution textures and additional shaders without actually adding them to the game. Then the artists can keep producing better and more high quality content to keep the game up to date... Of course, I wouldn't mind if the devs released a high res addon pack but usually the user-made content ends up being better anyway...

[/rant]
(2013-08-12 13:43)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]This could be very useful to people with limited knowledge of these things, thanks for the contribution Smile

About the poll though, in reality it's not a very straightforward thing. The fact is that Live For Speed has badly outdated graphics. HOWEVER, I don't want the devs to change them. Sufficiently low graphics mean that the game is accessible even on older/budget computers..

What I would love is if the devs could just embrace the modding community (they should, we have given LFS life support for so many years already) and optimize the engine for higher resolution textures and additional shaders without actually adding them to the game. Then the artists can keep producing better and more high quality content to keep the game up to date... Of course, I wouldn't mind if the devs released a high res addon pack but usually the user-made content ends up being better anyway...

[/rant]

Yeah I agree.

One of the trickiest things about modding LFS is the fact that it's a DX8 game. Both FXAA Injector/SweetFX and ENBSeries are made for DX9+, so convertors are required to make it work, which causes lack of features and bugs. It's quite rare seeing a game with such outdated graphics still being played by a significant amout of people.

But the point of tools like these are to make the game look like you want and with enough tweaking you can make LFS look like a decent looking new game. But getting to that level would of course require many many hours of work.
Would be good to see some before and after pictures.

All well and good to have these add on's but again you posted 2 pictures of VOB mods (BMW and supra)
(2013-08-12 21:30)Orange™ Wrote: [ -> ]Would be good to see some before and after pictures.

All well and good to have these add on's but again you posted 2 pictures of VOB mods (BMW and supra)

Did some rushed ones for comparison:

No mod (except for texture mods)

[Image: 40xIg.png]

ENBSeries + ingame 8x MSAA (the games AA support is nearly on the same level as BF3..)

[Image: 40xGd.png]

ENBSeries + FXAA Injector (Notice the bad AA, which is why I don't use FXAA)

[Image: 40xH7.png]

Hope that helped Smile
Going to give this a try when I get home, looks decent. Just hope it works in 1080 for windows 8.
(2013-08-13 10:49)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Going to give this a try when I get home, looks decent. Just hope it works in 1080 for windows 8.

The change you perceive ingame can't reallly be shown in screenshots, as the AA wont work properly and nothing moves. For example the color-contrast and lumasharpen makes the road way more detailed, especially when driving along. The small details like grass also pop out ALOT more.
How big is the impact on FPS?
(2014-05-20 15:06)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]How big is the impact on FPS?

Wouldn't bother as you won't be able to read the chat, settings or anything.
It will lower your FPS by 20% approximately.
(2014-05-20 15:09)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]

I've set my ENBSeries and SweetFX up so that there's no blurs and blooms, so you still get the color correction etc. without ruining the menus.
Damn, 20% is more than I can afford with my current 44fps Tongue
damn 20% is too much with My 23fps on dual screens....
Best Stock LFS!
(2014-05-20 16:53)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-20 15:09)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]

I've set my ENBSeries and SweetFX up so that there's no blurs and blooms, so you still get the color correction etc. without ruining the menus.

how to do it ?

i changed in Nvidia Inspector Antialiasing to 8xQ [8x Multisampling] and 2x Supersampling and i see all good Smile
(2015-12-06 16:38)IronSoul Wrote: [ -> ]how to do it ?

A. Rule 2.5. Do not post in threads which have had no new replies in the last 30 days.

B. Read the Original Post
Glad you got it working IronSoul. Ignore Skoda, everyone else does. Wink
(2015-12-06 17:21)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Glad you got it working IronSoul. Ignore Skoda, everyone else does. Wink

Really? Looks like he listened when I told him to read the OP Tongue
(2015-12-06 16:45)Skoda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-06 16:38)IronSoul Wrote: [ -> ]how to do it ?

A. Rule 2.5. Do not post in threads which have had no new replies in the last 30 days.

B. Read the Original Post

Do i start new thread then ? Why then there is forum if i canot replie ?

(2015-12-06 17:22)Skoda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-06 17:21)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Glad you got it working IronSoul. Ignore Skoda, everyone else does. Wink

Really? Looks like he listened when I told him to read the OP Tongue

no i just try, but i think my changes did something and now game dont look so good Sad
Well... What you did is sort of in the op
Reference URL's