[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: PS3 freezes after few minutes of GTA V
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Everytime I play GTA V on my PS3, singleplayer or multiplayer, the console freezes completely after about 5-10 minutes of playing. I can't even do one mission or job, and go back and save my game before it locks up completely.

The textures go bad, and the sound gets stuck. Only thing I can do, is to do a hard shut down on the PS3.

I have tried several cooling solutions. From leaving it be where it normally is, with only it's own fan cooling it. To putting it right next to an open window (2ºC outside) to get fresh cold air at the front intake, and having two 80mm fans placed at the top of the ps3, to suck out hot air from the vent.

Here's a drawing.
Cold intake air is marked with blue arrows, and hot exhaust air is red arrows.

[Image: XLpDl06.jpg]

Appreciate any help.
Regards, Frederik
How old is that ps3? And where is it usually stored/used?

I would suspect that the heatsink has filled up with dust.
If the heatsink is filled up with dust and only lets through a fraction of air, it doesn't matter how much you improve the airflow on the outside.

If you don't have warranty on there anymore and know what you are doing, then i would open it up and get the dust out.
Might be. I bought it in 2008 from the UK, and sold it to my brother in 2011, who has had it since.
It makes this weird ticking noise, but my brother doesn't want me to open it up.

I was just thinking, how the heat could be a problem, when it's right next to a window, but I'll have a talk to him, to see if I can get to opening it up, and cleaning it.
And it freezes only with that game ?
(2013-11-24 14:19)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]I was just thinking, how the heat could be a problem, when it's right next to a window,

Yeah was thinking the same, but when there is a lot of dust blocking the airflow it could still be the problem. Everything else that comes into my mind would be hardware related and not even worth fixing.
Yeah, I'll definitely see what I can get done.

My second thought, was that the harddrive might actually be the thing making the ticking noise, but once again, I'm not sure. And replacing the hard drive, would mean not having any save games anymore, which isn't good.

It might can be Blue Ray lens is dirty or that se this video clip if this help Cola.
Thanks for the help guys, seems like opening it up, and cleaning off some of the 5-year-old dust did the trick. Smile
Ah nice Smile
Damnit, problem is back. After 1½ hours of gaming today, it froze up again. I'm a bit curious to see wether it'll come back or not. I'll keep you updated.
It could be harddrive giving up to soon, my old laptop hdd did that sometimes to i couldent run games for like 2 min then it crashed so after i changed hdd it work stabil again, but now my laptop going over heated when i run cs 1.6 etc and i get bluescreen after 1 min
Well would be good to monitor it a bit, because from time to time mine freezes aswell. Especially the online part has caused quite a few of those and my ps3 is brandnew.
Yeah, but it really would surprise me if it is still overheating, even after all the dust cleaning I did, and optimizing the cooling system with external fans, and fresh air directly into the intake.

I'm also thinking the hard drive might be the cause. Unfortunately.
I would remove the fan/cooling thing then squirt some new coolant paste or w'e people use for their cpu's and smash the fan thingy back on.
A ticking noise usually points mto a hard drive or disc drive issue, try a different hdd (2.5") and see if that helps.
(2013-11-24 21:30)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the help guys, seems like opening it up, and cleaning off some of the 5-year-old dust did the trick. Smile

No pictures?! Damn! I like to see this kinda stuff cola!!! Not thinkpads!!
(2013-11-26 17:10)Klurax Wrote: [ -> ]I would remove the fan/cooling thing then squirt some new coolant paste or w'e people use for their cpu's and smash the fan thingy back on.

Yup. Actually, I was going to put on some new cooling paste on it when I had it opened. Or that was, until I found out that I'm all out of cooling paste. So that'll have to wait a bit for now.

(2013-11-27 06:14)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]A ticking noise usually points mto a hard drive or disc drive issue, try a different hdd (2.5") and see if that helps.

Thanks, I'll check with the hard drive in my computer. Hopefully that'll make me capable of somehow saving the save game files of the games on it.

(2013-11-27 19:49)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-24 21:30)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the help guys, seems like opening it up, and cleaning off some of the 5-year-old dust did the trick. Smile

No pictures?! Damn! I like to see this kinda stuff cola!!! Not thinkpads!!

Will do next time. Wink
Reference URL's