[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Idling people.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now this got me annoyed alot today.
I was glad I've finally got the time and the lust to play LFS again.
So, I try to get on the server, after 5 minutes of pressing enter, I finally got in, and I flew out right away as LFS crashed. After endless attempts I got in again. But then my wireless screwed again and I flew out.
Now I'm trying to get on again since about 10 minutes.
Normal you say? Well, I was checking the server stats and I saw people with always the same km and the same location. So they're idling through their day and not driving, while other people just want to play. And some people are even asshole enough, to first spectate fo about 10 minutes, then join the track, drive 2 km and keep idling.
It's just frustrating, cause I have to go soon. I didn't want to spend my time trying to connect and ranting.
People should really think more about others and not be so egooistic.
If you're not driving, get off the server.
It's like blocking the fast lane IRL, ignorant and everyone hates you for doing that.
I agree about the idling people but its a fact of life. Theres always going to be those douches that take up that lane on the road, cut in line and generally are a douche.

Also, usually the idle timer takes care of them.
(2011-12-03 13:47)PeePee Wrote: [ -> ]I agree about the idling people but its a fact of life. Theres always going to be those douches that take up that lane on the road, cut in line and generally are a douche.

Also, usually the idle timer takes care of them.

Usually, yeah. But most people just move a bit and keep taking up the slot.
It really spoils the fun alot.
Yeah true, if people are on 200/300km then fair play for a short break but not otherwise.
1. Not everyone is away, some stopped driving for a bit to chat with others, fool around at the same spot, have important internet stuff to do or something.
2. There are two servers.
3. You'd do the same.

Though I agree with the idling stuff, it's annoying. But they'll get an idle kick after a while.
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't leave the server when you're away for 10 minutes. Cause if you do, you'll most likely find yourself connecting to a full server.
Totally agreeing here with KaraK, everybody complaining about it did it himself often enough, and now when you're the one who has to suffer because of it, you start complaining. Nothing against you Bullet, but it's like this. We all do it and we all did it before, we also all complain about it and will do it in future, too. Fact is, if they move their car often enough to don't get idle-kicked they can't be idling, can they? They may chat or have other stuff to do for a moment, and as KaraK said, there are 2 Servers. 1 of them is empty in 90% of the time.
I know I did it. But I stayed at my pc and was chatting or something like that.
But if I know I'm gonna be away for longer, e.g. making a skin or something, I go offline.

(2011-12-03 16:16)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]1. Not everyone is away, some stopped driving for a bit to chat with others, fool around at the same spot, have important internet stuff to do or something.
2. There are two servers.
3. You'd do the same.

1. A little chat is no problem, nor is fooling around. But if you have to do important internet stuff, you should be doing that and not playing LFS...
2. I want to play multiplayer. If I'd just go to the 2nd server, I could also just play in Singleplayer.
3. So you're like: *Removed* the others, I'll just be ignorant?
Sometimes people may go afk with the intention of only being afk for a few minutes, but become sidetracked and end up being afk for longer. The idle kick is in place to allow people to go afk and remain online for a suitable time. If people are away for a considerable amount of time, they will be inevitably kicked automatically. I certainly don't expect people to be driving constantly without a break of some sort.

If people are in and out of LFS, moving their car, then they aren't really afk, as they are clearly active in some form.

However, if people are actually afk, and getting someone else to nudge their car every so often, then that can constitute InSim Abuse.
I agree with Karak. Yeah, it's annoying, but if it means more people go to S2, It's kinda a good thing.
Feels like your just pointing out certain people, when you have done the exact same thing in the past.

But yeh, i agree with Karak, Saffy and Josh. And as McGerkin said, it would be good if more people connected to the S2 if S1 is full, and not just shutting down LFS doing something else instead, being angry, frustrated or annoyed.
What if the idle timer goes up relative to your trip distance? The more km, the more time you have to idle. Start the idle out at like 5 minutes, and every like 30km, you gain a minute or something. I think it'd focus people into driving more, and also create more slots on the server.
(2011-12-03 21:55)Crazy Wrote: [ -> ]What if the idle timer goes up relative to your trip distance?

That's what it does do, has done for about 6 months(?) now.
I think the issue is more along the lines that you need to only drive 1cm to reset the idle timer as opposed to 1km.
I really like the idea of increasing the distance needed to reset KM.
(2011-12-03 16:51)McGherkin Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Karak. Yeah, it's annoying, but if it means more people go to S2, It's kinda a good thing.

In theory yes, but there aren't enough players to fill two servers. So you ll end up playing with yourself.

(2011-12-03 22:25)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]I really like the idea of increasing the distance needed to reset KM.

+1 Sounds like a pretty good idea.
iirc that was suggested on the old forums, but nothing really got through.
(2011-12-03 22:25)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]I really like the idea of increasing the distance needed to reset KM.

+1
Maybe make it like this:
Idle timer for 10 minutes, 30 seconds left.
User starts driving, timer freezes at 0:30 until 3 kms are driven, then resets. Every time the user stops for more than 2-5 seconds, the timer starts counting again.
(2011-12-04 00:49)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe make it like this:
Idle timer for 10 minutes, 30 seconds left.
User starts driving, timer freezes at 0:30 until 3 kms are driven, then resets. Every time the user stops for more than 2-5 seconds, the timer starts counting again.

+1
Btw. the server need more slot. 30 is very low...
(2011-12-05 14:31)ZsoLT Wrote: [ -> ]Btw. the server need more slot. 30 is very low...
That has been suggested several times and the answer will always be (well until Scavier changes it) that it would be useless to increase it since there cant be anymore cars on track anyway.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's