[TC] Gaming Forums
Car or Computer? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Car or Computer? (/showthread.php?tid=21000)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Car or Computer? - Roba - 2016-01-08 04:36

Depends on the car really. I got a Ford Sierra as a practice and play car when I was 12. When I got my licence at 18 I still loved it enough to buy another one (that wasn't yet rusted through)

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 06:41

(2016-01-07 22:09)Don Wrote:  DJ I would like to share my experience of owning a car before being able to legally drive it.

It SUCKS.
Wanna go to a shop to get parts? You can't. You can't drive there.
Wanna go cycle there? You can't take the parts with you.
The store asks to take a look at your car? They can't because you cant drive it there.
Want to drive to some friends to work on the car? You can't, you can't drive there.
Wanna show of your ride to friends? Well it's boring becuase you can't drive it.
Wanna rev it? Sure but the engine is cold because it's standing still...

So on, so on.
DO NOT BUY IT!
It's useless.. It's like having art that slowly rusts and eats money infront of your eyes.

BTW this is my experience and I had to wait 3 months and it wasn't even a project car.

I'm going to say it, I don't have all the money in the world; but it's enough for me. If it means doing extra work (paper round or sweeping hair dressers are the only things legal for my age) then f*** it, why not eh? I live on a private road, the people on it wouldn't mind too much if I give it a test to see how she runs, (going up and back down) I can get parts as well, cousin is a trained and working mechanic so I can get him to get them and when he finishes he can whip round with them and I'd pay him. So yeah, I am leaning towards getting that sexy beast of a thing.

(2016-01-08 04:36)Roba Wrote:  Depends on the car really. I got a Ford Sierra as a practice and play car when I was 12. When I got my licence at 18 I still loved it enough to buy another one (that wasn't yet rusted through)

RE: Car or Computer? - Owl - 2016-01-08 07:09

It doesn't matter if you live on a private road or not, you won't be able to test the car to its full potential. Parts, DJ, are expensive and are way out of a £50 a month price range. Just save the hassle for when you are older and get a PC, you should listen to Don on this, he has some great advice.

To all the guys saying 'don't listen to you're on 13' There is no way in England he can get a car without insurance. In England, even if the car is a standstill, it still needs to be insured. There are all sorts of laws and regulations that prevent a car from being owned by someone who is below 16 and 9 months

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 07:16

I'm not denying it, he has some really good points. Still there is a poll there for a reason, I'll give a couple days before I look at the results, don't want to rush things.

I'll have to admit, it isn't a big road but once I have it running, I have somewhere where I can see how she runs.

RE: Car or Computer? - Dracula - 2016-01-08 08:30

Car, in an instant.
It won't go rusty in a few days and turn into a small chunk of metal lying on the ground with some pistons sticking out like a lot of this thread is kind of implying, and I guarantee you that you will have more fun with it over a partially better computer which will get pretty boring pretty quick.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 08:34

Thank you Dracula Heart point made, it won't go rusty (be mistreated) I know better than to ruin things like this.

RE: Car or Computer? - Don - 2016-01-08 08:40

Also buying a pc is a one time purchase. My car had play on the wipers. It was a simple broken o ring. Cost me 120 euros for a second hand part!
How many days or weeks you have to work for that?

RE: Car or Computer? - Warped - 2016-01-08 08:56

To be honest... As one of the people I know said, "If you buy crap, you'll own crap."

Buying a car is obviously not a case to be rushed. If you bought a car which is in good shape, you wouldn't have to buy new parts.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 08:57

(2016-01-08 07:09)Skoda Wrote:  To all the guys saying 'don't listen to you're on 13' There is no way in England he can get a car without insurance. In England, even if the car is a standstill, it still needs to be insured. There are all sorts of laws and regulations that prevent a car from being owned by someone who is below 16 and 9 months

"In order to drive legally in the UK you must hold a valid driving licence. The youngest age at which an individual can take their driving test is 17 in the UK. It should be noted that an individual can apply for a provisional licence three months before they turn 17 years of age, but that they cannot take their theory test until they reach the age of 17."

I think you are a little confused,
MOT is for it to be parked, and allowed on the road.
Insurance, you know what that is. (I do not have to have to own the car, as long as it is off of the road.)
Age restriction doesn't mean that you can't own one and have it in a garage or on your drive.

RE: Car or Computer? - Paulius - 2016-01-08 08:59

If you want my opinion, first if are only 13years old, your brains aren't grown yet(no offense) its very very easy to start doing crazy things and hurt not only yourself but others as well. Other thing, that cars need gas(if you are really going to drive it) parts brake often, need to change tyres when sezon is changing. I dont know your country road rules, but if police or other would catch me driving wthouth license, no matter what age,(im my country I can get license when I'm 18years old) I need to wait another 2years, so 20years of waiting.. So I would be carefull with that. So I'd better invest in pc and proper gaming wheel (proper) and try to learn to drive safely in game first..
But it seems that you want a car more than pc so..

RE: Car or Computer? - Don - 2016-01-08 09:21

Also with a computer you can spent a lot of time. With your car when you can't buy new parts because you dont have the money for it. Then you can't spent time working on the car. With the computer you can buy a new game and you have weeks of fun again!
It's just that a car is cheap to buy but keeping it is the most expensive. For me owning my car 3 months now and it ONLY has been standing still cost me around 500-600 euro's. And we have cheap insurance here in Holland.

RE: Car or Computer? - Warped - 2016-01-08 09:28

(2016-01-08 09:21)Don Wrote:  It's just that a car is cheap to buy but keeping it is the most expensive. For me owning my car 3 months now and it ONLY has been standing still cost me around 500-600 euro's. And we have cheap insurance here in Holland.

Then why did it cost you 500 to 600 euros?

Edit: That is a ludicrous statement, and you have obviously done something wrong. But maybe we are back on (which is apparently the case) Step 1: Buying a car. As I mentioned, if you buy the cheapest car you have found on the used car market, you will obviously waste your time repairing it.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 09:46

(2016-01-08 09:21)Don Wrote:  It's just that a car is cheap to buy but keeping it is the most expensive. For me owning my car 3 months now and it ONLY has been standing still cost me around 500-600 euro's. And we have cheap insurance here in Holland.

I don't understand why you have paid for insurance, is someone driving it or are the laws over there different to ours?

RE: Car or Computer? - Toni - 2016-01-08 09:53

For the sake of everyones safety and health, dont buy the car.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 10:04

y so negativ, eh?

RE: Car or Computer? - KooKoo - 2016-01-08 10:05

Don't worry Toni, it's not you who's driving so it's safe.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 10:11

(2016-01-08 10:05)KooKoo Wrote:  Don't worry Toni, it's not you who's driving so it's safe.

Like (Can an admin add 'Like' and 'Dislike' to the emotes?)

RE: Car or Computer? - Nathan - 2016-01-08 10:35

Buy the car, get it sorted for when your old enough to drive... do skids have fun

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 10:36

Yeah? Okay. Nathan is the answer to everything.

RE: Car or Computer? - Don - 2016-01-08 11:15

(2016-01-08 09:28)Warped Wrote:  

Then why did it cost you 500 to 600 euros?

Edit: That is a ludicrous statement, and you have obviously done something wrong. But maybe we are back on (which is apparently the case) Step 1: Buying a car. As I mentioned, if you buy the cheapest car you have found on the used car market, you will obviously waste your time repairing it.

Insurance, road tax and a full tank. And one repair. 500 600 euro.