[TC] Gaming Forums
Car or Computer? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Car or Computer? (/showthread.php?tid=21000)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Car or Computer? - VirtualTourist - 2016-01-08 11:24

Miata or a computer?

Computer, Win98'll do.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 11:31

So it is being used Don?

RE: Car or Computer? - Toni - 2016-01-08 12:20

(2016-01-08 10:05)KooKoo Wrote:  Don't worry Toni, it's not you who's driving so it's safe.

Dont worry Kookoo, my driving skills are nore dangerous than ISIS has never been, youre safe, trust me. I even get attacked by russia.

RE: Car or Computer? - Borja - 2016-01-08 13:16

(2016-01-08 12:20)Toni Wrote:  
(2016-01-08 10:05)KooKoo Wrote:  Don't worry Toni, it's not you who's driving so it's safe.

Dont worry Kookoo, my driving skills are nore dangerous than ISIS has never been, youre safe, trust me. I even get attacked by russia.

LoL

Well, Dj you seems that want the car, so go for it. But i think that the computer is the best option

RE: Car or Computer? - Owl - 2016-01-08 16:03

Well, he made up his mind, I ain't gonna bother posting here anymore...

RE: Car or Computer? - Adam - 2016-01-08 17:26

Being the same age as you DJ i know how much it would tempt you to by a car.
i think you should keep the money in a savings account, keep it there for 4 years and look at the prices of cars then. Even though you wont get anything know, you could get the car you want cheaper (if it doesn't become a classic) and if you pick the right bank you can gain Interest (more money), You will have even more money to spend on a car.

RE: Car or Computer? - Audiojack - 2016-01-08 17:28

(2016-01-08 17:26)k_badam Wrote:  Being the same age as you DJ i know how much it would tempt you to by a car.
i think you should keep the money in a savings account, keep it there for 4 years and look at the prices of cars then. Even though you wont get anything know, you could get the car you want cheaper (if it doesn't become a classic) and if you pick the right bank you can gain Interest (more money), You will have even more money to spend on a car.

If he's insisting on an MX5, I doubt the prices are getting any better. In fact having the money on a savings account might depreciate more than having an MX5 in your garage for four years. W00t

RE: Car or Computer? - KooKoo - 2016-01-08 17:29

(2016-01-08 12:20)Toni Wrote:  

Wat...

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 17:41

(2016-01-08 17:28)Audiojack Wrote:  
(2016-01-08 17:26)k_badam Wrote:  Being the same age as you DJ i know how much it would tempt you to by a car.

If he's insisting on an MX5, I doubt the prices are getting any better. In fact having the money on a savings account might depreciate more than having an MX5 in your garage for four years. W00t

He is right k_badam, and anyways, what is better than having a car ready to use for when you can drive it eh?

And I already have money in a savings account that is meant for when I am 17.

RE: Car or Computer? - Sebas - 2016-01-08 17:50

(2016-01-08 08:40)Don Wrote:  Also buying a pc is a one time purchase. My car had play on the wipers. It was a simple broken o ring. Cost me 120 euros for a second hand part!
How many days or weeks you have to work for that?

Don Wrote:Also with a computer you can spent a lot of time. With your car when you can't buy new parts because you dont have the money for it. Then you can't spent time working on the car. With the computer you can buy a new game and you have weeks of fun again!
It's just that a car is cheap to buy but keeping it is the most expensive. For me owning my car 3 months now and it ONLY has been standing still cost me around 500-600 euro's. And we have cheap insurance here in Holland.

As I already stated before, owning a computer will be "instant fun". Unfortunately, "instant fun" doesn't really mean "eternal fun". In about 6 months your computer will be less performing than when you bought it. In about a year, the graphics card will start to become obsolete against the most recent games. Fast forward a year and you'll be talking about putting another 300-400$ in order to keep the computer running.

Want to spend most of your days stuck inside a room? What about physical exersice or enjoying most of your day? Do you really think that you'll be happy at 40-50 years old when you'll remember "Geez, i spent so much time on my computer doing silly stuff when I could have been working on a car". Think about that.

Paying 500$ for your first car to work on it? Go ahead. Dont like it in 2-3 years? Sell it for 500$ and buy another one. You have the ressources to work on it and i'm sure your father wants to spend some time with you as well (It was the idea back then when you didn't have enough room to work on it).

Insurance wise, it doesn't matter for now. The car will be in your garage and probably will not get out very often. If you stay in private roads and in your own land, you don't need one. Most probably this "first car" will never be on the road as you'll learn to work on it first. Enjoy tearing it apart and rebuilding it. If it breaks, you'll have plenty of time to repair it.

As some already said, you already seem to have made a choice on buying this car. Don't listen to people saying negative stuff about it. Most of them are probably jealous of you having the chance to work on your own car.

RE: Car or Computer? - Warped - 2016-01-08 17:57

Thank God, Sebas. You summed everything up.

RE: Car or Computer? - Owl - 2016-01-08 18:06

Just 2 words. Mazda and Rust. Save the car till later.

RE: Car or Computer? - Jimmy - 2016-01-08 18:10

Can get much help from this guys all running miatas

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 18:18

(2016-01-08 16:03)Skoda Wrote:  Well, he made up his mind, I ain't gonna bother posting here anymore...

(2016-01-08 18:06)Skoda Wrote:  Just 2 words. Mazda and Rust. Save the car till later.

ha..hahaha

RE: Car or Computer? - Sebas - 2016-01-08 18:21

(2016-01-08 18:06)Skoda Wrote:  Just 2 words. Mazda and Rust. Save the car till later.

Taken from the official website : https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

GOV.uk Wrote:4. Uninsured vehicles
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.

Comes into play what he said:

DjMad Wrote:Me and my dad were going to buy a mazda mx-5 and convert it into an exocet, but we couldn't accommodate the space.

If he plans to turn the car into an Exocet, i'm pretty sure they plan on taking it to a track and not on the roads. While the car is being worked on, it can pretty much be declared SORN for the time being and then get insurance in a couple of years. Same thing goes for the MOT.

Skoda Wrote:Well, he made up his mind, I ain't gonna bother posting here anymore...

*Passive agressive* Then why are you still posting here then?

Jimmy Wrote:*Some Haggard Garage video*
Can get much help from this guys all running miatas

Exactly. Ressources are plentiful on the internet. Learning to fix rust is a skill you will use on every car you work on. Plus, if he turns it into an Exocet, he doesn't really have to care about the body since it'll be pretty much turned to shreds in the process.

RE: Car or Computer? - Carl - 2016-01-08 18:27

So I just done a quick quote on a Mk1 MX5 filling in the details as if I had just passed my test.

[Image: 0cbee8d362ab316a1616a7eb9918ced1.png]

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 18:30

(2016-01-08 18:21)Sebas Wrote:  
GOV.uk Wrote:4. Uninsured vehicles
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.

Comes into play what he said:

DjMad Wrote:Me and my dad were going to buy a mazda mx-5 and convert it into an exocet, but we couldn't accommodate the space.

Thank you for that, insurance and MOT are safe without as long as I keep it off the road and on my 'land'.

That wasnt me by the way, I am in contact with dad but he doesn't know about me doing wanting to do this right now.

RE: Car or Computer? - Don - 2016-01-08 18:40

But buying a computer doesn't mean that you will never exercice come outside or have social contacts. I have a gaming computer and I cycle. I have friends and play sports? Or that weird when owning a gaming PC?

I also bought a car. I don't come more outside now, and I didn't do more sports either.

RE: Car or Computer? - Carl - 2016-01-08 18:44

(2016-01-08 18:30)DJmad Wrote:  Thank you for that, insurance and MOT are safe without as long as I keep it off the road and on my 'land'.

Well, yes but you want to drive it when you are old enough hence why I done it Tongue

Probably not an accurate price, but gives you an idea Tongue

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-08 19:02

Thanks for that nis, can I ask what it is for a 24 year old? I think that is when it goes down a bit.