[TC] Gaming Forums
How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer (/showthread.php?tid=10027)

How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Leon - 2013-12-26 22:24

So here's the deal: I have an 11 year old godson that frequently visits us and during those visits, I let him use my computer, because I'm awesome like that. However, I made him promise not to download or install any shit without asking me first. Naturally, he installs a ton of shit and I have to deal with toolbars and adware, which ofcourse always is lovely. He doesn't do it on purpose, nor does he click the stupid smiley ads and stuff, but he always manages to download some crap.

Is there any way I can stop him from doing this, other than obviously not letting him use my computer?

Oh and FWIW, he plays Minecraft, because he's 11 and that's what 11 year olds do.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Audiojack - 2013-12-26 22:35

First things, rather than just telling him not to, you should explain in simple terms why he should not do such things. The year is 2013 and he needs to learn how the internet works.

The second thing is to just make a separate user account for the kid with restrictions, I'm not currently using Windows but I'm pretty sure there's some settings you can put on a restricted user. Other than that you might need some parental control program or filter. Laugh But then again, it would be better in the long run if you just took the time to teach the kid the reason why it's bad to download random stuff.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Leon - 2013-12-26 22:53

He's 11, so he knows how the internet works. I have explained the unfortunate events that follow such downloads, but when he downloads things he wants, these things tend to follow.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Howlin - 2013-12-26 23:47

buy him a computer of his own Tongue

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - FR4NOx - 2013-12-27 00:06

Make him use the guest account if you're on windows 7. Shouldn't be able to install stuff.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Josh - 2013-12-27 00:15

If you know how to avoid installing the useless crap that comes with such downloads, install them with him. Then you can uncheck the right boxes.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Leon - 2013-12-27 01:19

(2013-12-26 23:47)HOWLINmad22 Wrote:  buy him a computer of his own Tongue

That's way too expensive!

(2013-12-27 00:06)Kenwood Wrote:  Make him use the guest account if you're on windows 7. Shouldn't be able to install stuff.

How do I make an account with restrictions? I'm on Windows 7 Pro.

(2013-12-27 00:15)Josh Wrote:  If you know how to avoid installing the useless crap that comes with such downloads, install them with him. Then you can uncheck the right boxes.

I'm not here at all times, hence the question.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - FR4NOx - 2013-12-27 02:10

Go into control panel-> user accounts-> should have something about guest account being turned off. Click it and turn it on.

Should be something like that, I'm on my phone right now

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Jimmy - 2013-12-27 02:17

open a new account and set password on yours, then you could set so he cant install need to ask adminastror to do it, if he ask why he cant install you have to tell him need to wait for it, and you can se what is it later

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Leon - 2013-12-28 21:14

Ok, I've created a guest account, but now nothing from the previous account can be accessed from the guest account. This includes Minecraft and such. How to fix?

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Jimmy - 2013-12-28 21:35

Tip how to fix

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Psysim - 2013-12-28 23:24

(2013-12-28 21:14)Leon Wrote:  Ok, I've created a guest account, but now nothing from the previous account can be accessed from the guest account. This includes Minecraft and such. How to fix?

re-install all the apps you wish him to be able to access, at the point of install you should be prompted with something like 'This user only or all users'.

Can I suggest if you are not using firefox yourself, installing it on his account with a plug-in called 'NoScript' which will stop javascript from running automatically, this will prevent malicious installs that are often hidden in web pages, these include things like ransom-ware. Also make sure (as much as its a pain in the arse) that UAC (user account control) is enabled, its a valuable security feature.

You'll find a link to user account control on the under the user account section of the control panel, I would suggest 'Default' as this will prompt him and make him aware of an install no matter how discrete the install is.

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Klurax - 2014-01-26 11:31

Install adblock

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Leon - 2014-02-13 19:04

Whoa! Forgot this thread, lol.

I'll try these things out. Thanks guys Smile

RE: How to stop people from installing crap on your computer - Fast 4 Nitro - 2014-02-14 20:29

Minecraft is located at %appdata%, try to copy that to the guests account, and place it at %appdata% again. And ofcourse place a shortcut on the desktop.