[TC] Gaming Forums
Site suggestion - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Site suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=12769)

Pages: 1 2

Site suggestion - Carl - 2014-06-18 21:24

i'm pretty sure when i asked where to post this kind of thread, it was to be posted here. If incorrect feel free to move.

This suggestion is really simple and effective, i am unsure if this is simple to implement though.

I have yet to see a 'Voting System'. This system would be so that users can up vote (often green arrow pointing up) and down vote (down arrow red)

this would be greatly beneficial to this site as lots of users are suggesting things and it would be easier to vote on their post instead of having endless pages of people agreeing. However this is not a replacement for that.

I know you have a Poll already but a voting system for peoples posts would be hugely beneficial.

e.g

*user creates thread*

*user gives opinion*

*multiple users up vote because they agree with that opinion*

thread owner can see if people like his idea.

Let me re word his slightly, the poll can be used for the idea it's self.

The voting system can be used for when a user posts/suggests something on that thread and agree with what they have said.

I would like it to look like this

[Image: 5p39nFg.png]

RE: Site suggestion - Connor - 2014-06-18 21:29

But I don't see the point in this idea?

Isn't it quite obvious who like/dislikes the thread idea? I mean, people say +1 if they agree, and -1 if they don't, it's that simple. And I'm sure the thread 'owner' will also be able to see this by the positive & negative comments.

It's already obvious to see who's for and against the idea so why implement another thing to the forum.

No need imo, -1.

RE: Site suggestion - Ras - 2014-06-18 21:51

A thumbs up kind of system is a pretty decent suggestion, and used on many forums (that i'm using) where it works great. It wouldn't only be useful for suggestions but also (and maybe more) for many other topics in other sections of the forum.

It is probably fairly easy to implement as well since there are plugins out there for this forum software.

RE: Site suggestion - Dracula - 2014-06-18 21:54

I personally like this idea Smile
+1 from me.

RE: Site suggestion - Edwin - 2014-06-18 22:10

I really fail to see how your idea is really beneficial compared to a poll. A poll would be exactly the same as your idea but your one just states a pictorial way of voting with thumbs up and down.

Really see no point in this, thumbs down sign.

RE: Site suggestion - Russ773 - 2014-06-18 22:15

I think its another great idea but think the forum does the same job but better as it'll be discussed in-depth.

RE: Site suggestion - Luke - 2014-06-18 22:27

I'm mixed, I don't see how it could be pointless? But I don't see much benefit in it so I don't mind. I think it would be a nice feature any ways as it is a community forum for discussion and entertainment.

RE: Site suggestion - Connor - 2014-06-18 22:27

(2014-06-18 22:15)Russ773 Wrote:  I think its another great idea but think the forum does the same job but better as it'll be discussed in-depth.

Exactly, with this being implemented, you'd have people giving the idea a thumbs up/thumbs down but there'd be no in-depth opinion on it.

Sure there'd be people that give an explanation on how it could be better but they'd never give an explanation on WHY they like it/don't like it. Then we can get things rolling from there, making for a better idea than the initial one.

Another reason why I don't like the idea, however logical it is.

RE: Site suggestion - Russ773 - 2014-06-18 22:31

I think in general some kind of thumbs up or 'like' button would be good as some posts are useful or funny but you may not always feel the need to post a reply. I read something the other day that made me laugh out loud but rather than post a 'LOL' I could have done the thumbs up or like to show that it was either useful or funny.

Certainly not trying to hijack the thread as the above is slightly different to the topic.

RE: Site suggestion - Ras - 2014-06-18 22:51

Example how it could look (and work)

[Image: like_button.jpg]

On that forum people have no problem going in depth despite having a like system. It is not going to be such a problem as some say.

RE: Site suggestion - Warped - 2014-06-19 04:59

Good suggestion, but what happens to the poll system which is often used to determine whether people like the suggestion or not.

RE: Site suggestion - Carl - 2014-06-19 06:17

Let me re word this slightly, the poll can be used for the idea it's self.

The voting system can be used for when a user posts/suggests something on that thread and agree with what they have said or even find it humorous.

I would like it to look like this

[Image: 5p39nFg.png]

RE: Site suggestion - BP - 2014-06-19 06:19

I like the idea, but it seems some people are already missing the point of it.

Think of it like Facebook, you can comment and you can like. Usually Facebook conversations end with a comment with a thumbs up because the person can't be bothered to carry on responding. Here, it would be the person wants to express their agreement towards the post, but doesn't feel a new post saying they agree would be necessary.

The 'liked' post may give a point a poll never had, meaning they're two separately different systems.

+1 from me.

EDIT: Obviously, there does not have to be a poll in the thread. Someone could simply like a good/funny/detailed post.

RE: Site suggestion - Warped - 2014-06-19 06:43

Thanks to the explanation above, I understood the idea; if it's usable in posts, not only threads, then it's a great +1 from me.

OP Wrote:I know you have a Poll already but a voting system for peoples posts would be hugely beneficial.

Obviously I didn't read this line.

RE: Site suggestion - Dan - 2014-06-19 09:14

Not a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure it would have to be disabled on some forums to prevent e.g. disliking a post because your unban request was denied. Little bit silly imo.

RE: Site suggestion - Frozen - 2014-06-19 09:32

Indeed,

Or just allow the button "Like" , there's no need for "dislike" in my opinion.

RE: Site suggestion - Seven - 2014-06-19 09:36

I agree with Frozen. ETS2MP actually removed this system however as people got butthurt when they got too many dislikes. Of course I'm saying that as the blunt truth.

I'd agree with a "like" button though, would easily display to, for example: Chuck when considering adding new aspects of the InSim, just look at the number of "likes" an idea has. Smile

RE: Site suggestion - RedJohn - 2014-06-19 09:36

(2014-06-19 09:32)Frozen Wrote:  Or just allow the button "Like" , there's no need for "dislike" in my opinion.

Afraid that all your posts will get disliked ? Tongue

RE: Site suggestion - Ash - 2014-06-19 11:57

We had a reputation system which was removed because people just abused it iirc. This might be a suitable alternative?

RE: Site suggestion - BP - 2014-06-19 12:01

(2014-06-19 11:57)Ash Wrote:  We had a reputation system which was removed because people just abused it iirc. This might be a suitable alternative?

If I remember correctly, it wasn't removed but just wasn't re-added with the new forum (I think). I actually didn't mind the reputation system that much, and there are options to make it less open to abuse.

Anyway, yeah indeed, this could be an even better alternative.