[TC] Gaming Forums
Car or Computer? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Car or Computer? (/showthread.php?tid=21000)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-07 19:54

Basically, I am either looking for Computer parts or a 1.6l Stock Mx5 NA to work on. Post what you think and what you think I should get. Thanks.

RE: Car or Computer? - Owl - 2016-01-07 19:57

For a 13 year old? I would wait until you're 17 unless you want a Mazda to rust through... By the time you would get to drive it, it wont pass an MOT, get a new PC instead Wink

RE: Car or Computer? - Carl - 2016-01-07 19:57

Two completely different things, but that's a no brainer a car! Wink

Oh, well considering your age, there is simply no reason to buy a car right now. Maybe when you are 16-17 then yes but it's probably a bit early to dive into cars yet, even if you are just working on it.

PC parts.

RE: Car or Computer? - BP - 2016-01-07 19:59

Since you're not legally allowed to drive for 4 years, go for a PC.

RE: Car or Computer? - Borja - 2016-01-07 20:02

LOL , for what do you want a car with your age?

Totaly sure that the best option is the computer

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-07 20:11

The only reason I ask is because it would be a project car and I might not be allowed to wed to use it legally on the road but on private land yes, that is why. Anyways, if it helps me get a degree in engineering, so why not eh?!

RE: Car or Computer? - Audiojack - 2016-01-07 20:12

If you have a proper place to work on a car, and even more importantly a somewhat steady income, then go for the car if that's what you fancy.

If you're going to build a mad project MX5 so it's ready when you can go for a drive, then you're going to need a lot of funds W00t and then some.

RE: Car or Computer? - Jacob - 2016-01-07 20:12

13y old and a car? don´t be silly mate. You are still at school, too much free time, buy a pc (but still do exercise and don´t get fat by sitting on it) Biggrin

RE: Car or Computer? - Borja - 2016-01-07 20:12

It seems that you will not give your budge, which, if you believe that the best option is the car, deal with it

RE: Car or Computer? - Olli - 2016-01-07 20:19

I'd go for the car but since you're 13, I'm not that sure. Doing something else besides no life gaming is always better. If you've got a place where you can freely drive a car then go ahead and buy it! This is just my assumption but I feel like you want it more than new PC components.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-07 20:21

Another reason is that I have 'too much' free time, I can't go out due to 'hyper mobility' and other stuff (not getting people involved into that) and I only ever sit inside so it might be nice to do something outside instead that won't hurt me.

RE: Car or Computer? - Carl - 2016-01-07 20:21

Buying a project car at 13 is completely fine, me and my dad were going to do it at one point years ago. However, like AJ said you are going to need lots of money to be able to make things happen, otherwise it will just sit there wasting space. The price difference between both PC and a car are very large, regardless of the cars age or condition.

RE: Car or Computer? - Owl - 2016-01-07 20:22

(2016-01-07 20:11)DJmad Wrote:  The only reason I ask is because it would be a project car and I might not be allowed to wed to use it legally on the road but on private land yes, that is why. Anyways, if it helps me get a degree in engineering, so why not eh?!

Woah stop there lol Wink First GCSEs, then A Levels, then you can think about a degree, oh and having a project car, wont help you gain a degree, bolting parts to an engine is not engineering, engineering is looking at how those parts do what they do and why they are made to do what they do.

(2016-01-07 20:21)Nismo Wrote:  Buying a project car at 13 is completely fine, me and my dad were going to do it at one point years ago. However, like AJ said you are going to need lots of money to be able to make things happen, otherwise it will just sit there wasting space. The price difference between both PC and a car are very large, regardless of the cars age or condition.

Me and my dad were going to buy a mazda mx-5 and convert it into an exocet, but we couldn't accommodate the space.

RE: Car or Computer? - sezski - 2016-01-07 20:37

(2016-01-07 20:22)Skoda Wrote:  
(2016-01-07 20:11)DJmad Wrote:  The only reason I ask is because it would be a project car and I might not be allowed to wed to use it legally on the road but on private land yes, that is why. Anyways, if it helps me get a degree in engineering, so why not eh?!

Woah stop there lol Wink First GCSEs, then A Levels, then you can think about a degree, oh and having a project car, wont help you gain a degree, bolting parts to an engine is not engineering, engineering is looking at how those parts do what they do and why they are made to do what they do.

(2016-01-07 20:21)Nismo Wrote:  Buying a project car at 13 is completely fine, me and my dad were going to do it at one point years ago. However, like AJ said you are going to need lots of money to be able to make things happen, otherwise it will just sit there wasting space. The price difference between both PC and a car are very large, regardless of the cars age or condition.

Me and my dad were going to buy a mazda mx-5 and convert it into an exocet, but we couldn't accommodate the space.

I have my brother who is doing an engineering course and a mates dad who is an ex-cop who knows a lot about cars as well.

I understand where you are coming from but still, I have the funds and space to do it.

RE: Car or Computer? - Sebas - 2016-01-07 21:32

If you have the space (like a garage, some tools, money, etc), I would definitely go for a car. You will have the ability to work on that piece of engineering for the rest of your life.

As for a computer, it will become obsolete in the next years. Even if you "work on it", you will have to throw insane amounts of money in it in order to enjoy it fully.

If you go the automotive route, a car can last forever. Think about muscle cars of the 60'-70', some of them are still on the road today and still belong to their original owner.

Don't listen to people saying "You're only 13". Nothing should stop you from having a blast doing what you love. By the time you'll be old enough to legally drive the car, it'll probably be ready to roll and you'll be having fun for years to come.

Project car: Fun times for years to come. Lots of hours of labor and money involved. Will always work.
"Gaming computer": Instant fun. Stops there. Will become obsolete.

RE: Car or Computer? - KooKoo - 2016-01-07 21:41

Go for car! You already have a PC. Get something you don't have.

RE: Car or Computer? - Roba - 2016-01-07 21:43

I'd go for the car. If I had money and a garage to use when I was 12, I would of bought a project car to drive when I get a license.

So, money and warm place it can sit for long times, go for the mazda!

RE: Car or Computer? - Don - 2016-01-07 22:09

DJ I would like to share my experience of owning a car before being able to legally drive it.

It SUCKS.
Wanna go to a shop to get parts? You can't. You can't drive there.
Wanna go cycle there? You can't take the parts with you.
The store asks to take a look at your car? They can't because you cant drive it there.
Want to drive to some friends to work on the car? You can't, you can't drive there.
Wanna show of your ride to friends? Well it's boring becuase you can't drive it.
Wanna rev it? Sure but the engine is cold because it's standing still...

So on, so on.
DO NOT BUY IT!
It's useless.. It's like having art that slowly rusts and eats money infront of your eyes.

BTW this is my experience and I had to wait 3 months and it wasn't even a project car.

RE: Car or Computer? - Blade3562 - 2016-01-08 01:12

Idk maybe it's a different thing in Europe but I know plenty of friends who purchased cars before we could legally drive. Some of us drive them on farms others bought them to build. Really if you have the income building the car will be cool due to the fact you won't be pressured to have it ready for several years unlike me where if a part doesn't fit right I can't get to work the next day.

There's lots of pros and cons. But if you have the resources and someone willing to instruct/help the car will be fun. Also note you won't really be outside. While you may be in the fresh air you'll be confined to a space working on the vehicle.

I could not drive when I got the Sonett: http://karmannghias.org/blog/?m=200902&paged=2

RE: Car or Computer? - Dizzle - 2016-01-08 02:03

(2016-01-07 20:21)DJmad Wrote:  ...and I only ever sit inside so it might be nice to do something outside instead that won't hurt me.

Spending almost 8 years of my life as a mechanic, I will tell you that a car will in fact hurt you.

Emotionally
and
Physically

I had my first car at 14 and by the time I got my license I was tired of it and bought another car.