[TC] Gaming Forums
Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Help Requests & Technical Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Thread: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. (/showthread.php?tid=2894)

Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Tommer - 2012-04-17 20:32

Hey I'm about to go to sleep so replies won't be for a good day or so but;

My harddrive has failed. I know it was close to full on last inspection but when I try to start my computer now I get just after the BIOS screen 'SATA Primary hard disk drive 1 Failure' .. do you think it is possible to recover the data from it somehow or repair it?

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Johan. - 2012-04-17 20:45

You can try this as last hope. It gives you 'a little' time to save the most importand data. I did it myself to my external haddisk a few weeks ago, wasn't fast, but I was able to save some precious photo's.

(2012-04-08 15:48)Elmo Wrote:  
(2012-04-07 19:14)Johan. Wrote:  And, to add to Zsolt's post: get it covered in something, and put it in the fridge/freezer. This also makes sure that your longer able to use the battery on a nice long time..

Make sure you put it in a sealed container with some silica gel for several hours before letting any electronics anywhere near the inside of a freezer. The gel absorbs any moisture in the air which should prevent it condensing on the electronics. Also, make sure it's left to sit at room temperature (out of the container) after removing it from the freezer for a few hours before you power it up.
Rapid changes in temperature + electronics + power = condensation + fffzzzt.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Stevo - 2012-04-17 22:55

try putting it in the microwave or applying a magnet across the top of it.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Stephen - 2012-04-17 23:38

I hope you're kidding.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Mr. NB - 2012-04-17 23:47

(2012-04-17 22:55)Stevo Wrote:  try putting it in the microwave or applying a magnet across the top of it.

Or resetting the modem.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Fujioshi - 2012-04-18 00:55

(2012-04-17 23:47)Mr. NB Wrote:  
(2012-04-17 22:55)Stevo Wrote:  try putting it in the microwave or applying a magnet across the top of it.

Or resetting the modem.
Make sure the reset is done on Tuesdays only.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Johan. - 2012-04-18 01:04

A hammer would do the job to, in your case W00tCrying

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Zipppy - 2012-04-18 03:37

Just smash the motherboard a bit where the SATA 1 controller is, then try again.

Nah,
Now seriously speaking, try using an external HDD enclosure (I've done it with USB 2.0 countless times), and copy data to another hard drive if you have one/can with another OS (on a USB stick, like Ubuntu or some easy to use lightweight system). If not, I'd leave it to the professionals in data recovery.

I've had something similar, but putting it in an enclosure and backing stuff up from there would be my best guess as said above.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Chuck - 2012-04-18 06:09

That's probably the way to go. btw. does it make weird noises? does it spin up at all?

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Tommer - 2012-04-18 06:50

Hey guys this morning I for the sake of it tried booting my computer and the hard drive didn't fail and everything is intact.. I've backed up what I really need in case it fails again, I suspect it was because the disk was about 15mb away from full.. Cleared a whole lot of space on it now I'll let you know if it fails again

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Johan. - 2012-04-18 16:00

Just for the sake of it, try running Harddisk Sentinel. The free version shows you alot of data already, so no need to buy it. Its more for the Health/errors that the harddisk has, it will prompt you pretty quickly with it as you launch the program.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Elmo - 2012-04-18 16:27

Make sure you do a full disk check - Drive properties > tools > check now, tick both boxes and let it run. It'll probably want you to do a reboot for it to work.

Also, get something that'll display all the SMART data (speedfan can do it, no doubt there are many others) which might give an idea if there was actually anything wrong with it.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Johan. - 2012-04-18 18:11

HD sentinal gives the Smart data aswell, Elmo.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Tommer - 2012-04-18 19:25

Gonna do a disk check tommorow whilst i'm at college.. will see how things are when I get back, PC has been working all day today

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Tommer - 2012-04-21 19:56

Hmm it was working normally for a while but today when I've booted up I apparently don't have a local disk d drive any more

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Sinoco - 2012-04-21 22:48

Just for future, if you think your hard drive is about to die, you probably shouldn't do a disk check. It can be the thing that kills it. It killed mine anyways after about a week or so of crashing, I/O errors, and such.

RE: Bit of a Hard drive emergency.. - Trance - 2012-04-25 13:44

LMFAO!!!