[TC] Gaming Forums
Joining chases (extension) - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Joining chases (extension) (/showthread.php?tid=31541)

Joining chases (extension) - Tingle - 2019-07-13 20:17

It's good to see there is now a join system in place.

Another suggestion I have is the ability to request multiple cops to join in one go.

I usually like to have as much backup as possible, however, it now takes at least 30 seconds until the chase could potentially be filled.

The suggestion is to add an optional parameter to the !backup command to fully utilise the pool of available cops.

E.g. "!backup 2" would take 2 cops from the pool of those who have applied if at least 2 cops are available.

This would mean cops don't have to repeatedly try and join the same chase if they weren't successful the first time, less time would be taken up by the primary cop in trying to execute multiple !backups and overall it is more efficient.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Gaz - 2019-07-13 21:25

Interesting idea, I'm sure it could be useful for some situations. I've added a poll just to gauge interest, hopefully you don't mind.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Frozen - 2019-07-13 21:55

I like the idea aswell. It would make the !join of multiple people in a row much easier.

So a cop could write for example !backup 3 and that would mean that 3 slots can be filled at once with cops that issued the !join command. At the moment we see quite often that there're 6 people in the !join queue, and it has to decrease one by one (all for the same chase).

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Carl - 2019-07-13 22:19

Voted don't mind as I'm not a fan of the additional commands but the idea itself makes sense and could probably prove useful.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Tingle - 2019-07-13 22:28

(2019-07-13 21:25)Gaz Wrote:  Interesting idea, I'm sure it could be useful for some situations. I've added a poll just to gauge interest, hopefully you don't mind.

Thanks, good idea.

(2019-07-13 21:55)Frozen Wrote:  I like the idea aswell. It would make the !join of multiple people in a row much easier.

So a cop could write for example !backup 3 and that would mean that 3 slots can be filled at once with cops that issued the !join command. At the moment we see quite often that there're 6 people in the !join queue, and it has to decrease one by one (all for the same chase).

Exactly that.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Dino - 2019-07-14 07:45

Yes. I'd like to see that happening, cause it's a bit "painful" to get a chase full right now (and since most cops including me always make it full immediately cause others want to join and not cause one needs backup, it's frequently happening).

Preference list for own !backup calls could be interesting aswell. Like I add in home certain usernames and if they apply to join they get the spot. Doesn't mean others can NOT join, but that the person who is in my preference list gets it first. Avoids the problem we sometimes hear "Backup call for xxx". But there are arguments against that preference thingy again, especially if one is teamless

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Kikou - 2019-07-14 16:42

I'm Happy With The Idea Personally But Instead of Having To Type"!backup" Possible To Shorten It Down To "!bu" instead ?

For Example of !backup 2 He/She Can Type !Bu 2 Instead.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Bez - 2019-07-15 00:40

(2019-07-14 07:45)Dino Wrote:  Preference list for own !backup calls could be interesting aswell. Like I add in home certain usernames and if they apply to join they get the spot. Doesn't mean others can NOT join, but that the person who is in my preference list gets it first. Avoids the problem we sometimes hear "Backup call for xxx". But there are arguments against that preference thingy again, especially if one is teamless

I think the whole idea of the new !backup system was to avoid such cases. The new system gives cops that may not be as quick with the !join bind or have a auto-join private insim to actually participate in chases.

The system does need speeding up though. Takes far to long for a chase to get full.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Joe - 2019-07-15 05:52

I'm happy with the new system. It prevents the "instant-full" chases, which was a bit annoying.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Chuck - 2019-07-15 06:45

I see there are multiple aspects here to get in harmony.
1. Getting backup faster
2. Preventing too many backups too soon in chase.

"!backup 1...4|max" seems a elegant way to satisfy the 1st aspect, but is needs some further logic for the 2nd one. And it happens that this one has already been discussed at earlier times. on various occasions. Namely, a system that Insim decides how many backup units are allowed at what particular stage of the chase. Or, for the sake of simplicity, let's say "total # of cops".

Possible configuration:
Chase time (minutes)
0-1: max. 1 cop
1-5: max. 2 cops
5-10: max. 3 cops
10-xx: max. 4 cops
(maybe even 5 or 6?)

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Frozen - 2019-07-15 09:28

(2019-07-15 06:45)Chuck Wrote:  Possible configuration:
Chase time (minutes)
(maybe even 5 or 6?)

That sounds like a good idea indeed. If the maximum amount of cops is based on the duration of the chase, perhaps the !backup command could always call for the 'maximum of cops possible' in that moment. But on the other hand, if that's the case, it would be great to have a way to 'override' that maximum to a lower value, so that cops are still free to choose if they want (the maximum amount of cops possible) = !backup, or a lower amount ('!backup 2' in a 10-xx minute chase).

However, the problem regarding the !join still persists unless the join system is changed in order to allow multiple cops to join at the same time.

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Tingle - 2019-07-15 19:53

(2019-07-15 06:45)Chuck Wrote:  I see there are multiple aspects here to get in harmony.
1. Getting backup faster
2. Preventing too many backups too soon in chase.

"!backup 1...4|max" seems a elegant way to satisfy the 1st aspect, but is needs some further logic for the 2nd one. And it happens that this one has already been discussed at earlier times. on various occasions. Namely, a system that Insim decides how many backup units are allowed at what particular stage of the chase. Or, for the sake of simplicity, let's say "total # of cops".

Possible configuration:
Chase time (minutes)
(maybe even 5 or 6?)

Has there ever been strong sentiment around limiting backup calls (either total amount or rate of backup)? For instance, I think this was one of the most downvoted ideas I have ever seen on the forum:
http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=21927

RE: Joining chases (extension) - Carl - 2019-07-15 20:21

(2019-07-15 06:45)Chuck Wrote:  Possible configuration:
Chase time (minutes)
(maybe even 5 or 6?)

I see the theory, but I'd rather not wait up to 10 minutes if I'm struggling with RB4 tank.