[TC] Gaming Forums
My new go kart - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Multimedia (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Thread: My new go kart (/showthread.php?tid=6037)

My new go kart - Turkey - 2013-01-30 01:50

Hi everyone. I recently bought myself a Rotax kart - a fast class and commonly raced 2 stroke kart. So I thought I'd like to share some on-board footage I have taken Smile

The track is Clay Pigeon Raceway, where Jenson Button started his racing career. In the video the track is wet, there was falling snow at times and the temperature was below zero degrees. Obviously the track was low grip so lap times were about 8 seconds slower than in warmer, dry conditions, but it was still amazing fun.

On a couple of corners you may notice me taking quite an unusual line. It's not common knowledge, but I'd like to know if anyone can name this type of line - bonus points for explaining why I'm using it and how it works. If anyone can tell me I'll be impressed. Smile

RE: My new go kart - Pete - 2013-01-30 09:39

That is awesome.

RE: My new go kart - Cyanide Christ - 2013-01-30 10:35

You were all over the place because you can't drive?
I guess it has something to do with ice or snow on the racing line?

RE: My new go kart - Turkey - 2013-01-30 11:21

I am deliberately avoiding the classic racing line which people normally use, but it's nothing to do with snow or ice being on the track.

RE: My new go kart - Nick - 2013-01-30 11:23

Is it because you're a hipster, and the racing line is too mainstream?

RE: My new go kart - Malibu - 2013-01-30 12:12

The rubber on the racing line gets slippery in wet conditions?

RE: My new go kart - Turkey - 2013-01-30 13:01

Correct Malibu! As the track is used in the dry, the classic racing line gathers rubber because everyone is using it. Some corners gather more than others depending on how much tyre slip people tend to have when driving around the corner.

In the dry this makes the classic line extra grippy, but in the wet it's very slippery and you have to avoid it to find grip. A wet line is any line that avoids the rubber and works out faster than using the classic line. That can driving wide all the way around the corner or Driving wide in the entrance and then taking quite a strait line out. Sometimes drivers even keep far on the inside and mount the curbs. In short, avoid the rubber when the track is wet.

Here's a traditional late apex you might use in the dry compared to a typical wet line: [Image: RacingLines2-L.jpg]

RE: My new go kart - Mikee - 2013-01-30 15:01

Very jealous of you Turkey haha, never been to clay pigeon but looks awesome

RE: My new go kart - Savy - 2013-01-30 15:12

Looks awesome turkey, now go own Mikee please Biggrin

RE: My new go kart - Johan. - 2013-01-30 15:17

That thing looks incredibly fast!

RE: My new go kart - Turkey - 2013-01-30 23:06

Thanks guys Smile

I'll post again when I get some close racing footage.

RE: My new go kart - Kyllone - 2013-01-31 15:03

Have driven karting myself too and wet conditions are just epic fun! Biggrin