[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Layout changes to make some parts of South city safer.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, as I got annoyed of getting constantly hit by someone on some intersections of the layout of South City, I decided to save the layout and see what i can do to make it safer in my opinion.

The things that i done are the following (with pictures of course.)

[Image: zj7n.jpg]

Roundabout to High Street - Archway - Castle Hill intersection, includes one spot for cops to go park. Possibility to cut the roundabout are fairly small.
All hand made roundabout so dont laugh lol

[Image: 0veb.jpg]

Extended turning area to pits on Highway 1. Highway lane now needs to slow down for the sake of safety.

[Image: xbwe.jpg]

Turning lane from High street to the parking spot when coming from Castle Hill - Archway intersection. High Street needs to slow down a bit as it as a tighter lane now.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:
-Alot safer turning from High Street to Castle Hill and Castle Hill to Archway because of the roundabout.
-Turning is now possible to High Street parking lot when coming from the "roundabout"
-Turning to pits is safer now, cars cant cut thru the intersection to the pits at Highway 1.

Cons:
-No more objects left to use.
-High street and Highway 1 has tighter lanes.

If you want to do a test with the layout or even improve it more heres the link for it:

Click to download

Edit: Sorry for that misplaced red tyrestack, should be at the end of those armcos.

Toni~
Really good work Toni!!

Really like the Highway 1 to Pits solution. Works really well and will make it safer!

Not sure about the extra car park entrance. I normally just go past the entrance, take a left into the car park where the model ambulance sits and spin around in there.

Like the Archway Roundabout, should slow traffic down a lot!
I like it, gj
(2014-02-27 22:58)Lewis Wrote: [ -> ]Really good work Toni!!

Really like the Highway 1 to Pits solution. Works really well and will make it safer!

Not sure about the extra car park entrance. I normally just go past the entrance, take a left into the car park where the model ambulance sits and spin around in there.

Like the Archway Roundabout, should slow traffic down a lot!

Thanks both.

Yes, It works really well, atleast you cant cut the corner in there anymore at all.

Well i have seen ppl turning around in there so i thought why not make them a entrance too and save their time and add safety.

And yes, the roundabout works really well, atleast you dont have any cars pulling out infront of you when coming from castle hill.
And it sure does slow traffic, i tried entering it from archway at 40-60kmh and i just couldnt enter it, so its proven to be safe.
Safer but less fun Tongue I have never had any accidents in these locations so I cant tell from experience, but it might be because i am a cautious driver. I like the ideas apart from the roundabout on the first image, if you are a cautious driver you can avoid most accidents 90% of the time anyway.

This may slow people down but i very much doubt it will reduce the amount of accidents unfortunately. Accidents are always caused by people making simple mistakes... and this could actually increase the risks of making simple mistakes.

Nether the less i like the ideas.
(2014-02-27 23:07)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]Safer but less fun Tongue I have never had any accidents in these locations so I cant tell from experience, but it might be because i am a cautious driver. I like the ideas apart from the roundabout on the first image, if you are a cautious driver you can avoid most accidents 90% of the time anyway.

This may slow people down but i very much doubt it will reduce the amount of accidents unfortunately. Accidents are always caused by people making simple mistakes... and this could actually increase the risks of making simple mistakes.

Nether the less i like the ideas.

Safety first, then the fun, and who knows if some of those ideas will be tried sometime. It might make chases more fun when there is some tight spaces for the suspects and the cops. I have had numerous of accidents when someone has just pulled or turned out infront of me on pic 1 and 3.
I am a cautious driver but sometimes it annoys me when someone just doesnt care about safety of others. Atleast now you cant say that a user pulled out infront of you when you are coming from Castle hill for example.

It will reduce the Car to Car accidents a bit, but Car to a object accidents cant be prevented from happening. And it might increase the number of mistakes happening but atleast it would calm the traffic down on those roads with higher flow of traffic and thats what was my goal with these ideas, just to calm these intersections/roads a little bit down by making the traffic flow a bit slower.

But thanks for your opinions.
I like the roundabout idea. The other two seem pointless IMO.

The part of the map I have a problem with is here:

[Image: 7cX8s.png]

Yellow = Line of sight (you have to pull out into the road and halt to look down the road, This is after the giveway/stop line)

Grey = Armco (Extending the giveway/stopping line out further allows safe halting, also clear view of the car pausing if people are coming from archway turning left. Parking space to the right to stop people popping out from the side. With only one exit and entrance that from all junctions you can see.)

White = New giveway/stopping line.

But then again. If people did halt, look then progress through the giveway lines non of this would need to be edited. Maybe we should add a road law to make sure people halt and look at solid lines?
Same problem when coming from Acme St to High street, you need to pull out in middle of the road to see if there is cars coming if you font have a map like i dont.
(2014-02-28 00:16)Toni Wrote: [ -> ]Same problem when coming from Acme St to High street, you need to pull out in middle of the road to see if there is cars coming if you font have a map like i dont.

I don't have a problem myself seeing on that junction. The only problem is that slight in climb on the right side makes it hard to see. But that just makes it fun Biggrin

Left
[Image: e6bmed.png]
Right
[Image: 245lc9c.png]

I understand that people just pull out like fools here.
Try the same when turning right and you'll see what I mean.
or maybe it just looks different to me as I play with dual screen setup.
(2014-02-28 01:12)Toni Wrote: [ -> ]Try the same when turning right and you'll see what I mean.
or maybe it just looks different to me as I play with dual screen setup.

Yeah but if you were turning right, you would only need to look left not worry what's right of you. If the TOW's, COP's ect are doing their part correctly any hazards that would be around the blind corner would be highlighted for you. Tongue
I have one problem..

We need some spare objects because cops have a !roadblock command. If its no more objects it would not work
Roadblocks consist of 7 tyres and ideally we'd like access to at least 2 of these at once so 14 free objects or more.
I really like the roundabout idea, as I'm not a fan of the current junction between High Street - Archway - Castle Hill. But I think it should be tweaked with a little, and the cop parking zone could probably also be revised.

Also, regarding the High street to the parking spot junction: I think we had that once. But the narrow roads combined with the fact that this is the worst place for lagging (which does occur especially at this place) does make it pretty unsafe. Then I think the current entrance should be revised instead, so that people would have to go to the roundabout at Highway 1 - High Street and turn around there instead.

Finally regarding the extended pit entrance turning lane; I don't think this part should be revised. Personally I haven't seen major problems there, and I think those changes would cause great annoyance for the people who know the track, and drives rather fast through that part of track.

This reflects only my personal opinion on this. Good job though. Thumbup1
Ill try to tweak some things here and there and put the pics in here again Wink

Cola, you cant really make it with the limits of 14 free objects to make them turn around in the roundabout at HW1.
Moved the roundabout a little and removed the high street intersection to the parking lot.

[Image: g91d.png]

new DL for the layout:

Click me
I don't like this roundabout. It slows down the traffic too much. And it's too narrow. I would like it that you would take away those rails that are on right side coming from Castle Hill they just make it much slower/harder to turn right to High Street. I like more the current layout.
Good job Toni! I like it Smile
the goal after the roundabout was to make it slower. and if i remove those rails from castle hill direction, they dont need to enter the roundabout at all, and what would be the reason to even have a roundabout if one lane doesnt even get affected by it? Answer is no reason to have a roundabout if all the lanes dont get affected.

Also, the second goal was to make it like that it cant be "cut" went driving through.

But well, maybe its just too much "into" the roundabout.

Btw, that roundabout was inspired by the kyoto and blackwood ones. Its narrow because i wanted to make it not driftable round and round, and no possibilities to cut the corners.

But well, try to make something out from your head then, feel free to make a better junction in there Smile
I have a couple of layouts for South City myself that I made playing around.. I'd basically designed it so the racing line never crossed onto the wrong side and turning at junctions would never cross more than one oncoming lane. Sure it held the same risks as a normal layout in that a driver could just 'not look' but atleast in my version there is less chance for a crash to occur. Ontop of this there's no 'crash chicanes' built into the layout like the current one on approach to H1 where people cause pile ups at by clipping the barrier when there are people behind.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's