[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: The time 7:30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The time "7:30". Is it half 7, or half 8?
I don't get where the 'Half 8' part comes into it? Confused mind blown.

inb4 ban
NO! This is legit!

(2015-02-16 22:21)Nismo Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get where the 'Half 8' part comes into it? Confused mind blown.

You are half way to 8. Duuh
(2015-02-16 22:21)Nismo Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get where the 'Half 8' part comes into it? Confused mind blown.

It's something people outside of the UK seem to do.

It's obviously half 7.
(2015-02-16 22:24)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]It's obviously half 7.

No, you brits are all wrong!

[Image: de11efd1e1.png]

This view count glitch tho
When your webcam freezes and you realise that the time is infact half past 7.
[Image: s9ebVVz.png]
It would be 7 hours and one half of the eighth, in finnish we would say "puoli kahdeksan" which is literally "half eight" or perhaps "half of eight".
Same here, AJ. In faroese it's "hálvgum átta", which translates to "half eight".
Exacly what we do aswell. That is the reason i asked the question, to might find the reason to it!
[Image: 304410_b.jpg]

Here it's half 8 as well.
Weird Brits huh.
7:30 = Half 8 indeed.
8:00 = "Full" 8

7:00 = "Full" 7 and 6:30 = Half 7.
Halb acht.
(2015-02-16 22:53)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]Halb acht.

Si si

That means i have no idea what that means
I can see Tigarrrr got unbanned Biggrin
(2015-02-16 22:53)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]Halb acht.
that!

to bring some more confusion up:
even northern germany and especially east or south differ on the quarter parts.

7:15 is quarter past seven, while some funny call it just quarter eight, meaning 1/4 of the eights hour have passed.

7:45 is quarter to eight, or for the others threequarter eight, meaning 3/4 of the eights hour have passed.
In Canada, apparently "7:45" is 45 minutes past 7, as opposed to quarter to 8.
I admit us Brits are weird with things like the side of the road we drive on but in this case I don't think so, saying "half seven" is a shortened version of saying "half past seven". We actually shorten quite a lot of things in a similar fashion, at least up north where i'm from. Tongue
Half Seven because its a 'Half' past 'Seven'
Then you would say "Half past seven". "Half seven" is obviously a different meaning.
But you wouldn't say "Halfway to eight past seven" now would you? Because that's what saying it the way you do, would mean. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's