[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Kyoto layout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Wow didn't realise I was coming into a bitch off thread.

Remember when there wasn't any open config? If I remember rightly people used to go up and down autobahn stretch which is pretty much the same distance as on this layout, mainly during the gumball.

Now you can have open config, but they are not fully utilising it on Kyoto for valid reasons. If you want to go round on autobahn all day like a NASCAR fan, go to another server.

Put up and shut up Smile
Don't forget that original Kyoto had no bonuses nor income to achieve on the Autobahn. People had to drive the normal roads to get money at all.
Alright, I have cruised around with the new layout, I think that it is a good compromise if we aren't allowed to have the full autobahn back. But I would like to know if Tommer's layout was even considered, I understand that you guys put a lot of work into your layouts, I've made them before and know how much of a pain they can be, but so did he. I believe that you should at least give it a shot, and if it is still to "open" then you guys can either edit it (with his permission ofc) or just go back to yours.
(2012-02-10 07:38)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget that original Kyoto had no bonuses nor income to achieve on the Autobahn. People had to drive the normal roads to get money at all.

While Kyoto was the most popular track (before Montana was made) there weren't any bonuses at all. However, since the bonus system was introduced, you'd still get the bonus for driving on the AB, just no normal driving money.

However, very few people just went up and down the AB. That was more of an issue in KY2 because the stretch of AB was much longer and almost 50% of the length of the whole track. Even then though, you'd only be able to earn more from bonuses alone after going several hundred kms in a trip (in a road car at least). Many people perceived the AB to be more lucrative than it was for some reason.

Only since the open config has the Autobahn really been a problem at all.
The thing that I liked about Kyoto is that the AB was a great place to see how fast my car went around while still being able to earn bonuses and go to the other parts when I felt like it.
(2012-02-10 06:21)Stevo Wrote: [ -> ]Wow didn't realise I was coming into a *Removed* off thread.

Remember when there wasn't any open config? If I remember rightly people used to go up and down autobahn stretch which is pretty much the same distance as on this layout, mainly during the gumball.

Now you can have open config, but they are not fully utilising it on Kyoto for valid reasons. If you want to go round on autobahn all day like a NASCAR fan, go to another server.

Put up and shut up Smile

This isnt about being a NASCAR fan, im not a NASCAR fan.

Nascar tracks dont have divided lanes and Armco barriers separating them, and no rotaries and no UF1's standing in front of your 700hp V8 (Something LFS doesnt even have Rolleyes)

Its the fun of having a AB like the real German AB where you can just max out your car and go. While cruising, gaining KM bonuses and running risks of getting chased by cops, you know something you can only do in a CRUISE SERVER......
(2012-02-10 18:10)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]The thing that I liked about Kyoto is that the AB was a great place to see how fast my car went around while still being able to earn bonuses and go to the other parts when I felt like it.

It isn't as if the Autobahn is the only road that lets you hit top speed, on any server. With perhaps the exception of Sydney, you can hit your top speed on pretty much any server/configuration.
Depends which car. With a lot of cars there isn't any track/area in LFS that will allow you to reach the top speed completely.

Setups are often made so that when you're just about to hit the breaks at the end of the longest strait, you'll be at/near the red line in top gear. But that's only because the setup has been made for the track, it doesn't mean there isn't more potential top speed in the car. If the strait was longer, you'd probably want to adjust the gear ratios to increase the top speed.
Good point, when I say top speed, I mean for my setup (not that it would be a great difference).
Well, top speed still varies, I managed to get a nice acceleration (still to slow against some FXO's though, but then the FWD vs RWD naturescience will come along).

Anyhow, its funny how my post (and Turkey's) totally got ignored, and yet there's a bigger hazard, because there's another bump added to the 'bumpy corner'.
I like the idea of Tommer's layout, but I don't think it would really stop people form sticking to the Autobahn.

People didn't use the autobahn because the roundabout gave them a racing line though the junction. You still have to slow right down (and sometimes stop) to use the roundabout, when you can go through the parking area to turn off with little hassle.

It also seems to encourage people to go on the wrongside (coming from SZ2 towards the junction) to give an advantage of either going straight on or left towards the in-field. When I first drove on it I got lost and went on the wrongside immediately.
(2012-02-11 01:25)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]People didn't use the autobahn because the roundabout gave them a racing line though the junction. You still have to slow right down (and sometimes stop) to use the roundabout, when you can go through the parking area to turn off with little hassle.

I agree, most people will be willing to slow down a fair bit to continue along the autobahn. Well, as long as they only have to slow down for several seconds.

But this gives me an idea - what about a very slow winding road between where the autobahn is currently blocked off? That's a fair bit of distance, which means, traffic could be forced to drive at a slow pace for a good while and that would stop people earning money so quickly. It would also increase you're freedom because you wouldn't be forced onto a different route and the winding roads would be something extra to explore.

Only potential problem I can think of is number of objects. Unsure
(2012-02-11 02:56)Turkey Wrote: [ -> ]Only potential problem I can think of is number of objects. Unsure

That is probably the biggest problem with making the AB fun and 'less autobahn like'. To make that work and make it work well, it would probably need a load more objects than we can free up.

Maybe we could open the autobahn, and have a ramp on one corner, so everyone who uses it goes OOB straight over the side Tongue
That would be hilarious to have on as a one-day novelty.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's