[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Something New You've Got...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-01-21 15:09)Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Nice Cola, only wondering:
What's the purpose of putting 8GB of RAM in a laptop that has only a i3 processor and a internal videocard?
My schoollaptop has "only" 6GB RAM and an i7 processor and dedicated videocard (GT540M), so it seems very overkill. Wink

The Intel Core i3-series processors are actually way more capable than most people think. Due to mine being a 2nd gen i3-cpu (notice the '2' in the beginning of the model number), it is equivalent to an i5-540M from the 1st gen of i5-cpu's.

I like to think that you actually need at least 8GB of RAM these days to keep up. I use much RAM while computing, as I often have both Spotify, Skype and Google Chrome open while also using AutoCAD or Revit in school. This takes up alot of RAM, and if I want to keep the system running smoothly, I need this much RAM or preferably even more. RAM is used as a temporary 'hard drive', when the allocated space of the program runs out, the PC will start dumping the temporary files to the hard drive, which means everything will start running extremely slow. Therefore having more RAM will almost always be beneficial for a user who multitasks alot on their PC.

Ideally I would've went for a dedicated graphics card, but seeing as my old laptop for 1½ year (T410) had a dedicated graphics card in the older and slower i5-540M (meaning the onboard graphics on this CPU was slower) and still ran all my applications fine, I am confident in saying that the onboard graphics card on this newer CPU (i3-2350M) is quite a bit faster. The integrated graphics on the i5-540M performs equivalent to an HD 6450M, while the integrated graphics on the i3-2350M performs equicalent to an HD6320M. None of these will ever be high-performance gaming-chips, but then again, I did not buy this laptop with gaming in mind. Smile

Also, note that CPU's these days don't really become obsolete as quick as they used to. In 2009 you could buy a quad core 3.2Ghz CPU for around the same price of a quad core 3.2GHz CPU of today. Of course obvious differences being in newer technologies meaning that the newer CPU will run at a lower voltage resulting in less heat build-up, perform better due to for example hyper threading and TurboBoost, and many other things. But my point is, that in 2004 (5 years before 2009) you would only run a single-core 3GHz CPU, which backs up my point in that alot happened in processors during those years, and a lot is still happening today, although not as much as it used to.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it answered your question. Tongue
Bought a new Mousepad: Corsair MM200 Extended.

[Image: mm200_ext_angle.png]
I see Cola, thanks for the explanation! Smile
A fine and perfectly working G27 once again. This is the third clamp that has snapped on me, that is both on my G27 and one on my G25.

They all seem to go at the same place, so I just took the (already repaired) bit from my G25 and put it in place of the old one. They're both in this picture.

[Image: aEsRj4w.jpg]
Lol, what do you do with them? I've never had a broken one Tongue
(2015-01-23 17:47)Jappe Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, what do you do with them? I've never had a broken one Tongue

This haha. I think AJ uses his G27 to do monkey swings on.
What? My brand new G27 got a broken clamp during maybe week 2 after I got it... They just don't handle much of getting tightened and loosened.
I just make sure that they're tight. Rolleyes
With what? A hammer?
(2015-01-23 18:22)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]With what? A hammer?

My main computer died so I had to find a replacement.

[Image: 2015-01-23135848.jpg]

Good old trusty Thinkpad T500. Not the most recent laptop but it was within budget.
Instantly updated the hard drive to an SSD and I ordered 2Gigs of additional ram to go with it. Will be perfect to browse the internet.
(2015-01-22 19:09)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]A fine and perfectly working G27 once again. This is the third clamp that has snapped on me, that is both on my G27 and one on my G25.

They all seem to go at the same place, so I just took the (already repaired) bit from my G25 and put it in place of the old one. They're both in this picture.

[Image: aEsRj4w.jpg]

you probably tightened it too much causing it to endure to much stress, the tighteners are pretty worn for 2 weeks of use, i've had mine for ~1 year now and my tightener knob thingys do not look like that Tongue
(2015-01-23 19:24)Mufflord Wrote: [ -> ]you probably tightened it too much causing it to endure to much stress, the tighteners are pretty worn for 2 weeks of use, i've had mine for ~1 year now and my tightener knob thingys do not look like that Tongue

That was Roba who had it for two weeks. I've had mine for years and I bought it used as well from Fatteeh.

But if you look up a bit you can see the other post I made which shows the reason why it's worn Wink
(2015-01-23 19:25)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-23 19:24)Mufflord Wrote: [ -> ]you probably tightened it too much causing it to endure to much stress, the tighteners are pretty worn for 2 weeks of use, i've had mine for ~1 year now and my tightener knob thingys do not look like that Tongue

That was Roba who had it for two weeks. I've had mine for years and I bought it used as well from Fatteeh.

But if you look up a bit you can see the other post I made which shows the reason why it's worn Wink

oh didn't realise it was yours eheh
(2015-01-23 19:02)Sebas Wrote: [ -> ]My main computer died so I had to find a replacement.

[Image: 2015-01-23135848.jpg]

Good old trusty Thinkpad T500. Not the most recent laptop but it was within budget.
Instantly updated the hard drive to an SSD and I ordered 2Gigs of additional ram to go with it. Will be perfect to browse the internet.

Very nice PC, you'll love it, especially once you get the SSD in it!
(2015-01-23 21:54)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-23 19:02)Sebas Wrote: [ -> ]My main computer died so I had to find a replacement.

Very nice PC, you'll love it, especially once you get the SSD in it!

I used to work with IBM'S all the time so that's why I went with it. The premium price on them is more than worth it. Only issue I have with this one is the cover is pretty scratched up. Ordered some Carbon fiber vinyl on Ebay to cover it so it should be ok once i'm done cleaning everything.
Got a new car. I'll post pictures in the Show us your ride-thread tomorrow as it is too dark to take photos atm. Laugh

That'll do for now.
[Image: honda-emblem.png]
[Image: 3akPCMu.png]

Gonna get new diod lights for regplate on golf tomorow, be ready on monday will post a pic how it will look. T10 wedge 24 V
Got my first big boy tool box for Christmas and finally had time to assemble it haha
[Image: 50435E2C-B645-45F4-954E-D7EB06906480.jpg]
Just ordered this incl. a sleeve. 164€

Ducky Shine Mini Nordic ISO - Cherry MX Red

[Image: brAUmyb.jpg]
Reference URL's