[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Assetto Corsa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Would like to know what was before that conversation.
(2017-01-11 06:45)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Would like to know what was before that conversation.

Simply a guy who has totally no knowledge of what he's talking about and tries to be a smartass on the forums. He's been talking crap the last week, registered to the forums, has 36 posts and all those posts are just crap. Only by that we already know how serious he is.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index....ost-820064

Wink
https://pretendracecars.files.wordpress....-help1.jpg

Overall (including the other pics), 10/10 attitude
Last time i will buy one of his games Laugh

And to be fair ive always throught AC does handle weirdly
Good to see the professionalism going on over there. Oh wait.
(2017-01-11 13:14)Nathan Wrote: [ -> ]And to be fair ive always throught AC does handle weirdly

Indeed. Their physics system is simply not present. All there is are some functions that, at best, imitate the looks of a moving car. With the result that many all cars handle weirdly and some are downright not drive-able.

Even the, relatively simple, arcade racing game "Sports Car GT" (from 1999!) offered way better handling.

(2017-01-11 14:08)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-11 13:14)Nathan Wrote: [ -> ]And to be fair ive always throught AC does handle weirdly

Indeed. Their physics system is simply not present. All there is are some functions that, at best, imitate the looks of a moving car. With the result that many all cars handle weirdly and some are downright not drive-able.

Even the, relatively simple, arcade racing game "Sports Car GT" (from 1999!) offered way better handling.

I cant quite put my finger on whats wrong with it.. it just doesnt mimic a proper driving experience..
(2017-01-11 07:45)Frozen Wrote: [ -> ]"Simply a guy who has totally no knowledge of what he's talking"

Wink

Aye okay

Also drove a few seasons of Formula Ford among other things.

Here is a video testing his new tires, the front end actually behaves like a car now.

(2017-01-11 08:09)BP Wrote: [ -> ]https://pretendracecars.files.wordpress....-help1.jpg

Overall (including the other pics), 10/10 attitude

What he said was really bad, i don't really like Pretend Race Cars either but i wouldn't go around insulting them if i was a Game Dev that they criticised.

Stefano is the only guy that i have seen being a *Removed* on the dev team, the rest that i have seen, seem fine.
(2017-01-11 14:50)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-11 07:45)Frozen Wrote: [ -> ]"Simply a guy who has totally no knowledge of what he's talking"

Wink

Aye okay

Well, he might be a good driver and maybe even the rest of his story is true. But it still doesn't make him a good programmer or a good engineer, for that matter.
Racing games are not made by actual racers, like space games are not made by astronauts and killer games are not made by killers. One exception is X-Plane thoughWink
From what a read so far is, all he did was constantly moaning that his actual car does not drive like in the game, so what, deal with it. Maybe he overdone that nagging at Kunos until he got fed up.

No excuse for Kunos though. His behaviour is just inappropriate, unprofessional and also irresponsible. As a boss of a company he must also think of his employees and such behaviour is certainly harmful for the company. Who knows if Porsche would have ever agreed to give out the licenses for their vehicles if their contracting party acts like that in the public.
That argument falls apart when Assetto Corsa its self doesn't take play in every single joint etc into account. I'd much rather have a sim built on feeling rather than purely numbers and as you have already said AC doesn't feel right despite being built by someone who is a "good programmer" and has built it purely by numbers and not through any kind of feel, now I am not saying what they have built so far is bad, but when you have many professional drivers including Alx Danielsson saying that it doesn't feel right maybe its time to listen.

A good example of a developer who happily admits mistakes and who the AC devs should follow is Niels Heusinkveld, the guy behind Automobalista, who also happens to have worked a lot with Fredrik on mods in the past so I would not be surprised if he has far more knowledge than you think about programming.

lfs is based on made up.tyre slip graphs.. and it feels awesome.. I've yet to find a game that feels as good as lfs

the dev sounds like he's a bit of a elitist but I think he's a bit of a arse anyway judging by his posts.

the fredrick gent has put time.and effort into furthering ACC and it was just dismissed like nothing
Took out the GT3 RS. Lovely car.

[Image: Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_trento_bondone.jpg]

I agree. Funny to drive too, and that sound is so waow
Gorgeous pics Ras.

(2017-01-11 17:18)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]I'd much rather have a sim built on feeling rather than purely numbers and as you have already said AC doesn't feel right despite being built by someone who is a "good programmer" and has built it purely by numbers and not through any kind of feel, now I am not saying what they have built so far is bad, but when you have many professional drivers including Alx Danielsson saying that it doesn't feel right maybe its time to listen.

You will end up with something subjective and personal, it may feel right to some but odd to others. You will basicly end up where you started.

You have to to create something objective based on data and algorithms that try to replicate/simulate a realistic experience. That way you can compare real data with your simulation to determine wether or not it is realistic or not. While there have been a lot of advances in the last years, it will still just be a simulation of the real thing and may never feel right to some.

May that be due to the limitations of technology, the fact that we are still sitting still infront of a computer or our ignorant expectations of realism.
V 1.12

The new track is quite fun.
New update is good, some of the sounds that the Audi makes are mental. The track is fun as well, but to be realistic for a Scottish road it needs more potholes and cars doing way under the speed limit that you get stuck behind and can't overtake. Although I'm not sure why they need so many welcome to Scotland signs haha.
I just played this game for the first time. I have to say the physics just aren't there. I can't explain it. It's the opposite effect of LFS. When you brake or apply throttle at different points in the corner the default reaction is ridiculous oversteer. But it's not predictable. Even after 5 hours of playing I couldn't set two lap times within 2 seconds of each other. Yet after 3 laps on a real track I was within .3 of a second. Idk. It's trying to hard. It's also not very fun. The sounds and visuals are ok but by modern standards are meh. Forza needs to hire the AC staff and coders for physics then use Forza graphics. All the hype and I just was totally let down. The setup customization is also very over-technical. You shouldn't have to design a set to just drive a car.

Had this replay sat around for a while now, Nürburgring BTG in the GT86 with a time of 8:02.258.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Reference URL's