[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: LFS Development Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-03 14:57)Brad Wrote: [ -> ]I assume because VWS is a real-life car, it shows up inherent flaws more than the other theoretical cars?
We do already have real cars, though. I'm not buying that new content couldn't work on the current physics. Improving the physics could be like a side project, imo. Also 400th post in this thread Tongue
I think the problem is, every different car has a different tyre model, so many calculations would be needed to precisely simulate the tyre model on the track, the problem is with this, the amount of calculations needed would probably be the equivalent of a left fender crash model in BeamNG. So having even 10x XRG on a track would probably crash the game. Scawen is looking to make the new physics as close to real life as possible but unfortunately the computing power required to make it as realistic as possible is probably just not there.

This is my best guess. Because it doesn't take almost 10 years to make tyres physics to a standard of Automobilista for example. There has to be some sort of limitation holding him back. And it wont be cost. It's either knowledge, lack of help or computing power. As I said, this is my best guess.

I have written this post based off what I do in day to day life to if any of it is wrong (as in I have overestimated the calculations required for example) then, well, excuse the incorrectness of my post, and I'll go in my special little corner and cwy :'(...
He posted about it on the LFS forum a while ago so for specific answers you'll have to go look at it, I think it's a lot of bull though, over seven years to develop them yet he hasn't shown us any evidence or progress of his work, he is just squeezing every last penny possible from LFS.

Skoda, it's probably laziness.
never heard of anyone bar scawen doing any work on it recently anyway
Scawen Wrote:specially while I'm trying to focus on tyre physics

He's "trying" guys.
Some replies to a few questions asked over the last few days. In short, seems there will be more to come in this patch (though unspecified what it will be), he's looking into increasing steering lock on some cars if it doesn't affect previously set hotlaps, and the new tire physics are now in a "driveable" state rather than an "intermediate" state.

Scawen Wrote:
SergoMorello Wrote:Sorry, for off topic, Scawen. Is it possible to make a little more adjustment for steering angle for rear wheel drive cars? As you already know how big drifting community is in LFS. Maybe just a few more degrees. It will not affect grip racing and mess with hotlaps. But it will help LFS drifters a lot, and will bring new emotions.

thank you
I don't know if this can be done without messing up all the hotlaps for those cars. But as it seems so popular, I can look into it. If it would mess up the hotlaps then I won't do it, an increase in steering range would have to wait for the new tyre physics, which I have been working on.

But, to help me, can you tell me exactly which cars need more steering angle to help with drift and how much that extra angle should be? It really must remain within the realms of "realistic" and I guess that means it should not include any cars with front drive.

mbutcher Wrote:Is this going to be released as a stable build soon or is there more to come?

There is more to come. Explanation below.

pasibrzuch Wrote:So shadows dissapeared from places they shouldn't be.

Will they come up to where they should be? e.g. yellow lines in pit entry/exit areas, layout surfaces or some 3d objects?

ps. btw of lyt surface, any texture for it + visible skid marks? :]

At the moment the shadows do not affect transparency, and I didn't do anything to change that. It's a good point and I haven't even thought about that! I think with all the other things I am working on, the shadows on alpha surfaces will not be changed in this update.

The problem with skid marks on concrete is if the concrete object disappears, we could have floating skid marks. I haven't yet worked out a system to solve this. Though I haven't put much time into it. I suppose it's possible by registering every bit of skid on an object, so they can vanish if the object is deleted... again, probably not in this update.

k_badam Wrote:Can we see more of what is to be expected from this patch? It has been almost a month with no changes...

I've been diverted onto some updates on the tyre physics, because I needed to send Eric an update with new editor functions, but the new tyre physics were in an "intermediate" state. Now I've brought them to a driveable state, I can update Eric's dev version and I can get back to some patch things.

But I don't want to try and say what else will be in the patch.

Jacobys Wrote:Dear Scawen, since everyone is waiting and expecting "wow" content I cannot do something else but stop and ask myself , what can we do to help other than suggesting and demanding improvements? What is our part other than contributing with the licence upgrade?

Yeah, normally the test patch threads are more lively and I keep adding more updates. This time, the shadows were tested, no serious bugs exist and then I've been diverted onto other things and there was also two weeks with the kids at home.

I'm back to work now so hopefully there should be more to test soon!
I think that maybe VWS only allow LFS guys to release the game if the games simulate how it (should) works in real life. If not, them aren't allowed to release it.

It's the only logical reason for me to explain why them arent releasing this car, and more cars having the priority on the tyre phisics.
(2017-01-04 22:08)Borja Wrote: [ -> ]I think that maybe VWS only allow LFS guys to release the game if the games simulate how it (should) works in real life. If not, them aren't allowed to release it.

It's the only logical reason for me to explain why them arent releasing this car, and more cars having the priority on the tyre phisics.

Kinda that. They haven't released the sicrocco because they want it to be more realistic. I am sure Volkswagen wouldn't have given a damn!
So it looks like Scawen and Eric are working on the tyre physics then. I guess its better than just one person having all the payload on them.
(2017-01-04 22:37)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]So it looks like Scawen and Eric are working on the tyre physics then. I guess its better than just one person having all the payload on them.

yes and hopefully now there are 2 of them working on it, it might actually get released by early 2009!
(2017-01-04 22:37)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]So it looks like Scawen and Eric are working on the tyre physics then. I guess its better than just one person having all the payload on them.

Its more so that Eric can test the new/revamped tracks on new physics. You know the buggy curbs at Kyoto and Westhill? Those are tire physics problems, not track problems. That combined with the overall feel of the tracks would make it make more sense to use the new physics to make new tracks.

It also gives Scawen some feedback from someone other than himself, hopefully.

Basically what Spencer said. Eric will obviously feedback to Scawen but Scawen is doing 100% of the physics programming (most likely).

Scawen's most recent post is definitely positive. That's the most I've seen him talk about the tyre physics progress in a few years at least.
Will they put the new tyre physics in a test patch, or not make them public until final update release?
(2017-01-04 23:59)Ras Wrote: [ -> ]Will they put the new tyre physics in a test patch, or not make them public until final update release?

It would have to be a release candidate worthy build, but it would probably be an incompatible patch for a while before going official.
Scawen;1917124 Wrote:Test Patch 0.6Q5 is now available with fixes and improvements!

Changes from 0.6Q3 to 0.6Q5 :

New map view for open configurations and track selection screen
Skid marks now remain when race restarts (excluding replays)
Skid marks are now visible on unmovable layout objects

FIX : Missing part of shadows at rear of LX4 and LX6
FIX : Shadows seen from a distance were not affected by haze effect

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/90208

Some other requests I still considering. Some requests, including the drift maximum lock increase, would cause an incompatibility issue. I do expect to release an incompatible version in the near future, so it looks like that should be possible, up to 45 degrees (no new tracks, cars or tyre physics in the incompatible version).
(2017-01-14 17:57)k_badam Wrote: [ -> ]
Scawen;1917124 Wrote:Drift maximum lock increase up to 45 degrees.
http://giphy.com/gifs/personal-pacific-r...c01em87D3y
overdue change..
Scawen;1917134 Wrote:Tyre physics just isn't ready. But I'm working on it.
The carcass works quite nicely and I'll be on the tread simulation soon.
Oh boy.

[Image: 8ae4c98f0e1df9f30ff8e0ef4c081e66.png]
Reference URL's