[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: LFS Development Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-01-02 14:18)Nathan Wrote: [ -> ]Im sure if you had a opportunity to make millions or give it away for free you wouldnt be saying that.

Feels bad that you're so sure about it, I'd rather not have that much money honestly, the thought is already making me anxious as it is W00t Maybe a million so that I would never have to worry about it again.
No need talk about that.

LFS have only 3 dev team.. Dont blame him.
(2018-01-02 14:45)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]..Maybe a million so that I would never have to worry about it again.

lol. Do you have any idea what things cost these days? And I'm not talking about living like a sheikh, jets, yachts and helicopters. I'm talking about a wealthy but down-to-earth life.
That one million was already gone for Scawen's house and nothing else. You certainly wanna secure yours and your family's life-time too, have a new car every now and then, afford the nice things in life, spend nice holidays, not always have to go shopping at Aldi as well. Kids grow, want cars, good schools etc etc.
I'd have at least 10-15 mil on my account to have that covered, especially if I know it could have been done easily.

Forgot one point: Investment. Using the money to start a little company like Minecraft. Hire 3-5 developers continuing on the project. Hire an actual graphics expertWink Why not feed 20+ hungry mouths instead of just 3?
(2018-01-02 17:03)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Things

That's exactly the kind of talking that just gives me anxiety. I can understand perfectly that you or most people would probably want that, but no thanks.
Scawen's killing the game off single-handedly and we know it. Yes, there may only be 3 devs (or stooges, which one is more appropriate), but why is he restricting himself to only 3? There are so many opportunities business wise and in ideation, but he lives in this little bubble that excludes everyone's opinion and makes progress painfully slow.
He could have made profit, he could have shot LFS amongst the top sims if he faces the rigur of developing, but we're still here, pretty much the same.

Yes, if an update does come out this year I'll be damn. But then again, if it's something small like cast shadows or graphics, then it wouldn't justify the large gap between updates, still.

We get it that Scawen wants it to be a personal project - yes, that was alright 10 years ago, when Little Johnny was just emerging into the sim platform. But now after all this exposure it's sad he still thinks going slow is the right way forward.

Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but harsh words and truth cannot be said on the main forum. All we get in return of opinions or discussions are nitpicks and deflection, or even a thread closure.
I don't think that's the right way to treat your audience, let alone the small number of people still residing in LFS.
Most will agree and I'd be thinking of a move to rf2 or iR later this year if I get the funds to do so. Feels that there's little point staying in a project that's pretty much stagnent bar a few updates and Westhilisation.

What we want would be LFS to turn into an actual game project or open source, at the least. Not privatised any more. It'd been a snail for far too long; and besides cruise servers, I doubt racing's going to last long in LFS, "The Racing Simulator". C'liga's gone, and all that remains are a few fun leagues and demo servers...
He could have built a fortune, or at least if he can't, just let others do it for him.

LFS players enjoy the game
LFS Devs earn a stupid amount of cash since the game was the best of it's time. (back in 2005-2006)

-> everyone is happy!
(2018-01-03 06:25)Adorable Wrote: [ -> ]He could have built a fortune, or at least if he can't, just let others do it for him.

LFS players enjoy the game
LFS Devs earn a stupid amount of cash since the game was the best of it's time. (back in 2005-2006)

-> everyone is happy!

Although both aren't exactlyyy correct :/

Not many people purchase licence anymore, and at most, S1 only, or, S2.
The "enjoying" part only applies for a short period, until everyone gets bored... man.

Just hope something comes in soon this year!
I am currently building my first PC right now and I bought PC2 due to it being on sale. When my build is finally finished (hopefully before January ends), I'm making the switch to different racing simulators. At this rate of updates rolling out, I may just not install it on my new PC (just may).

I've only played this game for close to 3 years now and I'm already tired and bored of LFS. I honestly would rather a new track than the VWS. It has come to a point where people who I used to play with, have left due to how boring LFS has gotten over the years.

I'm thinking that if there is no new update (this includes a graphical overhaul because i dont count it as an update) before Summer, I'm gonna uninstall it, that is if i do decide to install it and play different games.

Although, LFS does have one characteristic that not a lot of games have. No matter how much i did not want to play it, I just found myself playing it. I dont know whether it was the people i play with or whether it was actually the game but I felt addicted, to an extent.
So I read through all the comments and I really have to agree with Shamz. He is right about everything, BUT! I personally am kinda limited at LFS, since my crap PC won't play any better graphics games with such good physics. And there are no good, new racing games that I could play on the new consoles- since my steering wheel is only for PC and I will not invest 100s of Euros to buy just a steering wheel. Rather a car than a wheel. And by the way, I find new racing games boring. This is one thing that we have to agree with: The game has amazing physics.

The same thing as Shamz is happening with me: I am thinking about playing it, not really want to play it, but after 10 seconds I am already setting up the steering wheel.

There ARE things in LFS that make it unique. But the developers should use those things and make it a better game. If needed, they should make a bigger developer group, because it will die with time if there is no update coming.

It won't be completely empty because of people like me, who have no gaming PCs and this is the best game to spend your time with. But if nobody is buying the game, that means it's dead. And I say it again: There is a lot of potential in this game. It is waiting to be used.
In fact look the servers. There are only some racing server which are mostly full. TC is the only cruise server who have realy active user. TC LFS Servers are interesting because TC/Chuck keep working on the InSim and bring new features. LFS as a game is to old. In Singleplayer Crusing I like BeamNG.drive much more. And I´m sure there are some better racing games with bigger community right now. What keep me playing here is the community and my lazyness to find another game....and my stinginess to buy another game. Laugh
And no: I´m luckely not restricted by my Laptop. Most of modern games would run on it easely.
Based off good 'ol Racon (PiranMoto)

"Quote from Racon :
It's just Rockingham at the moment, but there will be new tracks in the future that will be added as S3 content (Eric has two that are currently not far from completion and more that are in earlier stages. Scawen's current work is related to graphics for Eric to do his thing), and new S3 cars will come after the tyre physics (I'm not 100% about the S3 cars as I haven't seen a direct quote - that's my understanding based on inferences from related quotes about tweaking existing cars to the new physics).

S3 was basically released for the benefit of those who want to drive Rockingham now instead of waiting until there's enough content to justify a full licence release... some are buying for Rockingham, some are buying to support LFS, some are waiting for more content."
Least they could do is update us from time to time more frequently[/quote] in what stage is update,is it going well so we know whats going in in dev world.
(2018-01-11 04:42)Getrag Wrote: [ -> ]Least they could do is update us from time to time

There isn't any progress so there's nothing to announce Rolleyes.
[Image: 5a576d0282c24-LFSmeme.png]
Half Life 3 syndrome, where¿?

. Tbh I hope there will be at least one update for LFS this year, but I can tell Scawen is delaying tyre physics more with this "Graphical Overhaul", maybe even "covering" it so people deviates from it (no shit, Sherlock). I still mantain a little of hope on LFS, but it needs to fasten their update pace.

. Does Scawen even realizes he fell off the horse time ago?.

. Probably adding shadows to these 2D by-standers is the Graphical Overhaul we are looking forward to.

. News Report by Victor on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 10:00 (Which I think most of you, included me, read on that time)
"Eric has been working on some more S3 content but he would like to get nearer to finishing before we show any new pictures."
What's the god damn problem of showing pictures of WIP tracks/cars? What an stupid excuse, seriously.

. Sad to see LFS die out like this, but oh well, Scawen lives inside a thermos and doesn't like sarcasm at all, or his sarcasm machine is broken, and seems that saying The Truth is a very bad thing to say.

. With all this never ending delay I minimally expect Tyre Physics to "shake" things on LFS.

. Everything is a mystery on this game, and this is the least you should expect from the Developers and the Game itself. Everything is just pure speculation, and Developers themselves allow and feed this monster to keep it growing.

. I totally understand that the 3 devs have jobs, hobbies, family, vacations and etc (basically a life) and that some days they can't work on LFS at all.
Scawen should start thinking to make the dev team bigger, they are overcharged af. Being close-minded about it will just make things worser than it already is.

. In my personal experience LFS has the BEST Mouse Steering Support out there, which of most sims really don't even care about it. Hell, mouse can even be assigned if switched to wheel/joystick. (I'm tempted to try AC, but have been hearing & seeing that I will need Third-Party programs for Mouse Steering, given the one in the game is total crap.)

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Scawen to show me I'm wrong with the updates he is doing, but at this pace I don't think this will happen, or even if I will be alive to see it happen.

I just laugh at this
So is he working on tyre physics or graphics? What is that man up to... Ghutra I have AC and also play with mouse since I dont have wheel. Personally I dont recomend you to buy it I myself dont find playing it that much although i managed to get mouse and pedals to work (so if you have GOOD pedals...) which removes that coded assist barrier when you play with mouse. But my pedals are junk and axis response is just horrible and twitchy.
Imvho Ghutra (Ibtatsim) you nailed everything right. I'd say the same stuff, but I'd come across as a bellend because I'm blunt and sharp with my words as always.

Tbh (or it's the truth? You decide...) I believe tire physics has been a stagnent project in idle for over 3 years, an abandoned mess that was only picked up very very recently.
I feel the new graphics is just a covering to pull wool over us, that the new physics is not even in the final stages of build. Yes, tire physics may or may not be on its way out in the future, but when? Will there even be a market or consumer group left to experience the physics when it gets released?

Even by small enterprise progress standards, or even a non profit, this progress makes LFS seem like a "when I have the time" personal project. No muppet will take almost 5 times longer, compared to other games, to release a significent-enough update.
And of course, he nitpicks on the forums like a tramp when someone says something relating to progress, or when any discussion starts.
Like, seriously. If you cannot take crititism, constructive comments or feedback, jog on and get the game pulled from the shelves, refund everyone the money we spent on buying licences with no future. We'd all be better off with that, and I'd use the cash to buy me some iRacing to finally Simrace.

And I fully expect the graphical update to be a disappointment. As in, not to our expectations.
We have a great base physics model, almost the best. We have great handling, great controller and platform support. And it goes to waste because of 3 gipsies who don't regularly keep the game updated, and one guy who doesn't wish to expand his company with more developers.

Tracks are coming however. The only light at the end of this absurdly long tunnel.
Someone said this to me yesterday. It's like Santa delivering presents on a horse.
He should be thankful this game isnt dead 10years later after promised scirocco basically we kept his game alive so without us there wouldnt be his "pet project". Like seriously faithfull for last 10 years cmon... He is literally blocking this game because he doesnt wanna add more developers lfs could be one of the best sims out there just by adding more devs who will actually update us and make progress.
(2018-01-12 06:37)Getrag Wrote: [ -> ]So is he working on tyre physics or graphics? What is that man up to...
He was originally working on the eternal Tyre Physics, but now he switched and decided to work on "Graphic Overhaul". I ask the same "Wtf is this one up to?"

(2018-01-12 12:01)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say the same stuff, but I'd come across as a bellend because I'm blunt and sharp with my words as always.
I ain't that far from it either.
I wouldn't EVEN be able to post this and my previous comments on LFS Forums without getting Saltywen triggered, deleting it and banning me, just like he already did with other people saying what was really going on. Since he deleted that comment I posted on the spoiler above, I know he is waiting me to post another comment to see if he can delete it arguing "sarcasm".

(2018-01-12 12:01)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]I believe tire physics has been a stagnent project in idle for over 3 years, an abandoned mess that was only picked up very very recently.
I believe the same, except I'd change 3 years for 4-5 years.
If I was Scawen, I'd focus on improving the game, releasing updates with more improvements, new tracks, reworked tracks, reworked cars, new cars, etc etc and leave Tyre Physics for the """end""". He really wants to release Tyre Physics, but at the same time its conflicting with releasing other things, so it ends up being a big mess of what to release, or what to say.

• Take a look at this: https://www.lfs.net/news/894 (https://www.lfs.net/rockingham for screenshots)
I don't own S3, so could someone with S3 confirm if there is any major changes compared to these 2009 screenshots?. Seems the "high" standard isn't that new on LFS...
Reworked Tracks are almost done, if not completed, waiting for the Head(less) to give the "ok" to release. Same for the new tracks.

• From all these years, all I can see is just a messed up, unorganized and fail-filled update roadmap. Scawen doesn't know what path to take LFS into, and its just circling around the same circle infinitely, letting it die.

(2018-01-12 12:01)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]Like, seriously. If you cannot take crititism, constructive comments or feedback, jog on and get the game pulled from the shelves, refund everyone the money we spent on buying licences with no future.
This.
If Scawen is so sensible about criticism, then why release the game to the public?

• Can someone tell why the three devs are arses and so selfish about showing pictures of WIP tracks/cars? The "stealing" and "It's WIP" excuses they put are really stupid.
Hell, even they really cba on even posting News Reports if its not about a new update released. Sad

• Will Graphic Overhaul take another 10 years too?. Will Mod Support also take another 20 years?

(2018-01-12 14:13)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]Someone said this to me yesterday. It's like Santa delivering presents on a horse.
I'd say its Santa stumbling with rocks every 2 meters, and he hasn't even exited the North Pole.

• As Getrag said, I'm surprised to see full servers even if the game is not being updated.

Hell, only thing that keeps me going back to LFS are the physics themselves, how cars feel and drive, the layout editor, and now replicating IRL liveries into LFS cars as a time-killer. I tried to stay away but I always came back to play it. Have been a member of LFS since 2010 (mekhon was my first account, then I lost the password and the email I registered with got blocked, so I created this one)
Reference URL's