[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: LFS Development Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-12-26 07:54)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Lol , whats with all the sudden speculations ? If time has taught us one thing, speculating about LFS progress only brings up losers. The entire situation has reached dimensions that any word does sound sarcastic. But frankly, that is Scawen's fault. He is persistently after things, nobody from the community ever asked for. Sure, graphic updates would be a nice thing, but there are probably a thousand other things above on that list. And even if, graphic updates don't take years. I believe he lives in some bubble that isolates him from anything and anyone around him. I mean he probably never played any other game and has no idea how games are made nowadays. Otherwise, the situation wouldn't be as stuck as it is for years.

[Image: ok-hand-sign_1f44c.png]
I've always believed and still stick to the belief that he's making the game mostly for himself, because in the end he just has a passion for coding.

I think that him doing any major stuff for the community or even for profit is just wishful thinking, I think it's his little pet project that he would keep on coding in his basement even if nobody played it W00t
+1.
Plus the fact he stands his ground and is resisting feedback on what should be done and what not. The community is always irked by this to the extent we don't care anymore, because he's very stubborn, of sorts. Everyone would rather a new track, car, or even part of a track to be updated, rather than some shadows, colors and a bush in a graphical update, but he seems adamant to complete >something< even if people want >something else<.
The first step in a company,project, restaurant, store, or creating a game like LFS, is to listen to feedback by your own target market and your intended users, which is us, drivers and racers. To understand the needs, to understand the purpose and satisfy the wants. If you don't, the project won't explode into glory, but instead crawl along slowly. Which LFS is technically doing right now.

Prioritising in the dev's minds seem to be at an all time low, to a point where, even if it's true that Scawen does it at his own pace due to LFS being a personal project - it's stupidily slow.

We speculate because there's not much else to do or talk about with LFS. "Eh, what's new about this game now, when I got recommended by Joe in 2007?", "Oh nothing much... 1 track... 1 updated track... eh, new bushes, that's it".

"Oh."

(2017-12-26 07:54)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Lol , whats with all the sudden speculations ? If time has taught us one thing, speculating about LFS progress only brings up losers. The entire situation has reached dimensions that any word does sound sarcastic. But frankly, that is Scawen's fault. He is persistently after things, nobody from the community ever asked for. Sure, graphic updates would be a nice thing, but there are probably a thousand other things above on that list. And even if, graphic updates don't take years. I believe he lives in some bubble that isolates him from anything and anyone around him. I mean he probably never played any other game and has no idea how games are made nowadays. Otherwise, the situation wouldn't be as stuck as it is for years.
But.. What.. If... A true day and night cycle is being created?

That would be a great graphical improvement. Actually that would be on top of my list. If it's going to be anything else I would be disappointed. Which probably leads to another ban, but ah well.. Smile
I'd love to see at least 1 physical build - 1 more track, and one graphical/weather build - i.e day cycle. Either would spice up the game just enough to keep it going, but hey.

Eric loves his shaders. Can't deny 'em! Probably another decade before he gets his first bush shadow out, and then another decade, and another...
What we actually know:

Eric's working on at least two new tracks, one of them in more so. He hasn't played with the old (current for us) tyre physics for years, he's been testing with the WIP ones. He dropped a tease a while back that the feel way nicer than the current ones.

Scawen has got himself lost happily playing with shaders (told you so Tongue ). He's mentioned a while back that he wants to do real-time lighting (and certainly has a newer rendering method, which is why they can't be arsed to fix all the broken shadows on the new/updated tracks). Shaders would make that kind of thing much easier.
With global real-time lighting day/night cycles would be a hell of a lot easier, but any work on that specifically is 100% speculation at this point.

Latest update as of a few hours ago:

Scawen Wrote:We are continuing to develop Live for Speed and are working hard on a graphical update at the moment. [...]

We can't comment on when things will be ready but we obviously want it to be ready as soon as possible. There is quite a bit to be done by Eric to take advantage of the recent graphical updates and plenty more for me to continue working on. So we are working hard on that.

Thank you everyone for the continuing support!
Yes Elmo, a few tracks are in the works. One seems to be in final build. But then the VWS was in final build... and that took years to be rel- oh wait...

We're pumped for new tire physics. Can't wait. But I'd rather just jump into it rather than let Eric continue to caress his new shading tools. Those minor grapical things can be added as patches in the future, instead of delaying the main project...

Hopefully 2018 will bring us better news Smile
LFS best update Slow Nominated Award 2018.
(2017-12-31 14:32)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]Yes Elmo, a few tracks are in the works. One seems to be in final build. But then the VWS was in final build... and that took years to be rel- oh wait...
Do you realise that Scirocco is waiting on the tyre physics before its release? And we only know of two tracks are in the works yet you seem to have insider access and you know that a few are in the works along with the fact one is in a final build. If you are going to say things, back them up, don't just say them, if this is really true then show us...
Scirocco, 2018... lol
By the time the physics and VWS are released the PC will be extinct.

Probably a little harsh, and pointless, but it stands.

I still stand by my precious point that by now, new/updated tracks are more exciting than 1 new car
Isn't the Scirocco discontinued now?
(2018-01-01 18:39)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't the Scirocco discontinued now?

Ha yep (again).
All I heard about VWS (apart from delayed release and Tye Physics; been looking for it since 2009-2010) is that it was used for Marketing, which is hard to believe for me. I don't see how sales even raised by showcasing this car on LFS tbh.

As Josh said, I rather prefer if more tracks and Tyre Physics are released than having the VWS at this point.

Plus Eric should start reworking the rest of the cars. No point on having a hi-detailed XFG, XRG, XFR, XRR and the VWS if the rest of cars are abandoned left to die. I understand that XFG and XRG were reworked to make Demo "beautier", but seeing the other cars really turns down. It's like if R* made GTA V leaving San Andreas, Vice City or III's cars.

Altho I still have faith on LFS. It's one of the few games that kept me trapped for so long, and it's not easy to do that, even if updates are so slow (at least for my case), and seeing it perishing isn't nice tbh. But spamming threads and posts on LFS Forums isn't going to do anything rather than annoy both devs and people in general, neither scaring newcomers.
(2018-01-01 19:49)Ghutra Wrote: [ -> ]Plus Eric should start reworking the rest of the cars. No point on having a hi-detailed XFG, XRG, XFR, XRR and the VWS if the rest of cars are abandoned left to die. I understand that XFG and XRG were reworked to make Demo "beautier", but seeing the other cars really turns down. It's like if R* made GTA V leaving San Andreas, Vice City or III's cars.
I agree with you and have same thoughts. CMON better interiors for rest of the turbos and gtr s road interiors shouldnt be that hard to do. Atleast so the game is evenly updated and modernized.
Scawen;1912449 Wrote:Of course it's true that some of the cars need updating. Most of all in my opinion the RB4, such a nice car but with the oldest interior of all. And the FZR and FXR that still have the road car interiors. I can't do that, I hope Eric will find some time to work on them but he has some tracks on the go at the moment. Note that the UF (that also needs updating) is mine, not Eric's.
He posted that in September 2016.
If I read all this, I wondering about one fact: They are 2 (2,5/3) developers. And time is a main factor. Also I cant believe, that they make much money in the moment with such a old game.

Why they dont change it to a open souce project. I bet there are some LFS fans who would like to be part of LFS.
^
+1.

Would totally dig it if they allowed people to make tracks. I'd have a huge go at it if it comes true.

And maybe Vano and his car modelling too. LFS misses out on opportunities by keeping it a solo/extremely privatised project and by not listening to the community enough. And the snails pace... Even Grand Prix Rock 'n' Racing has better tracks! Sad
Afaik, Victor has a full time job (besides LFS!) and Eric also did some other projects. But I think, only Scawen can actually live from the LFS money. Well, I guess the only expenses he got is for inner tubes on his bike every now and then.
It's quite funny that they all could be proper multi-millionaires by now but choose not to. < headbang.gif >
(2018-01-02 07:52)Brixton Wrote: [ -> ]If I read all this, I wondering about one fact: They are 2 (2,5/3) developers. And time is a main factor. Also I cant believe, that they make much money in the moment with such a old game.

Why they dont change it to a open souce project. I bet there are some LFS fans who would like to be part of LFS.

Because it's not about money or success, it's Scawens pet project that he wants to keep working on. He wants to keep making it himself for himself, not give it away for other people.

(2018-01-02 11:20)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]It's quite funny that they all could be proper multi-millionaires by now but choose not to.

Not everyone wants to do that, it seems that they are happy as is, especially Scawen. And to be fair I would do the exact same thing if I had developed something like that. I would probably rather make it freeware and keep developing myself than make it moddable for a price W00t
(2018-01-02 12:16)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-02 11:20)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]It's quite funny that they all could be proper multi-millionaires by now but choose not to.

Not everyone wants to do that, it seems that they are happy as is, especially Scawen. And to be fair I would do the exact same thing if I had developed something like that. I would probably rather make it freeware and keep developing myself than make it moddable for a price W00t

Do it for a few years and sit back for the rest of your days

Im sure if you had a opportunity to make millions or give it away for free you wouldnt be saying that.
Reference URL's