[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: LFS Development Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-09-28 12:39)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-28 12:35)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-28 09:41)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Does the new version still make car skins lowres?
They're not low res, the bug is that AF isn't being applied to skins.

Way ahead of you: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86567

Waaay ahead of you, I reported it in the test patch forum weeks ago. Turned out Flame had beat me to it by a few weeks as well.
Scawen Wrote:It's going well.

I completed the new "optimiser" which precomputes which objects are visible from any point on the path. It uses a higher resolution and a much better rendering method to correctly detect what is visible, so there is now very little popup of objects, holes in the road and so on. I plan to release updated object visibility files for the current tracks. Probably in a test patch before Westhill is ready.

I've just written a new thing for open configurations which can start on a path (instead of using no paths at all) and then switch between paths when you go off the edge of one and onto another. The result of this is higher frame rate on open configs, because it can use the optimiser. Also the echo map is available. Still need to do the lightmaps, so cars go darker when they are in shadowed places. This was really vital for the new Westhill as it has all the access roads which are fun to drive on, but the frame rate was too low without the use of the optimiser. Eric is creating dummy paths for the access roads, so they are not selectable as configurations but the paths are available for open configs.

So it's all going well. Obviously these things aren't done by magic and they take time, but we like working and we like what we are working on. So for us it looks good. Smile
And another one..

Scawen Wrote:Yes, we are still working on the Westhill updates. Eric sent me a test version with most of the new paths done. This brought up some more editor improvements I needed to do. I've been looking around the track. Eric is still finishing some things and fixing some issues. I've been trying to get the remaining things off my list. This stage seems to go on a while. Some things take longer than expected and other unexpected things come up. But it's all about making improvements to LFS so it's all good, apart from the wait.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1874584#post1874584
At least some improvement. Good things come slow. Tongue
At least Scawen posts more now than he used to do so it doesn't feel completely dead.
Scawen is hoping to release a test patch in a couple of weeks. Also some teaser screenshots Biggrin

Scawen Wrote:Hello Racers,

We have been continuing to work hard on the new Westhill. As many of you know, we have gone to a new level with the new track. There is a new National configuration and an International configuration which is similar to the old Westhill. Eric has made the scenery highly detailed and driveable, which makes the open configurations a lot of fun.

The high level of detail resulted in some loss of frame rate, specially in open configs, so we have worked on a new system where open configs can use 'paths' (and change between paths as needed) so LFS knows where you are and what you can see from your location. This keeps the frame rate high by avoiding drawing too many objects. I worked on a new hidden object removal system which doesn't miss objects like the old system did. I plan to release updated hidden object files for the existing tracks.

In the last few days I made a new system that allows for higher detailed fences without increasing the number of objects. It is a flexible system that allows a repeating model to be placed along any of the 'segments' that are used for tracks and fences in LFS.

This has been used now to improve the appearance of some of the fences and barriers in the new Westhill and allowed the removal of some 'alpha test' textures (which do not work well with multisampling AA) because geometry can now be used for repeating supports. I was able to write some auto-repair code that saved Eric from having to manually edit thousands of fence segments.

Eric is finishing some models and has been filling some of the distant landscape scenery. I still have a few things to do left on my lists. After the weekend I'll need to examine my notes and get them together onto fewer sheets of paper and I'll know where I stand then. We are trying to get the release done as quickly as possible but with high quality.

We hope you enjoy these screen shots that show the new fence and barrier system.

Scawen Wrote:
CodeLyoko1 Wrote:is the eta still a few weeks?
Yes but my head is spinning a little. I'll need to get my notes together on Monday and see what needs to be done. I plan to first release a compatible test patch with the new hidden object detection files and open path switching system for the existing tracks, as soon as possible, with Westhill into testing not long after. That's the general idea.

[Image: 131648]

[Image: 131649]

[Image: 131650]

[Image: 131651]

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86781-W...ovember%29
Damn that looks neat. Third picture shows half the minimap (I suspect) on that blue board in the left side of the picture. Can't wait Biggrin
Would TC be turning into a UK driving side (Left)?

[Image: 4ea2ac64b7.png]

Obviously the give way lines are in the correct places now. Would it be just for this track or for all tracks?
Looks beautiful.
This is looking really promising for once! Getting excited now... Especially with left hand side road markings! Biggrin
Even the trees look realistic. Ohmy
(2014-11-09 10:55)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Would TC be turning into a UK driving side (Left)?

TC with Left side driving = total chaos when Non-Left driving people join.
Impressive that LFS can look like that. Barely looks like LFS.
Looks really nice indeed, can't wait!
hmm, looks nice, but not getting my hopes up to see it anywhen soon

In the third picture you can see a volkswagen billboard, that's got to be a good sign no??
(2014-11-09 15:08)Lewis Wrote: [ -> ]In the third picture you can see a volkswagen billboard, that's got to be a good sign no??

Yes ,between trees.

I like the new textures.. hope it come soon...
Looks pretty amazing, at least compared to what we're used to in LFS graphics-wise.

Gonna be a mad rush to get a layout together when it is released!
(2014-11-09 12:03)Toni Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-09 10:55)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Would TC be turning into a UK driving side (Left)?

You could say the same for people who don't drive on the right! Tongue
(2014-11-11 12:10)Kieran Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-09 12:03)Toni Wrote: [ -> ]

You could say the same for people who don't drive on the right! Tongue

Most of the world drives on the right, to be fair. Also, I believe TC has been right hand side since the beginning. Smile
Reference URL's