[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: LFS Development Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-03-01 17:40)AdamB Wrote: [ -> ]it looks like he has hit the textures with a paint brush in photoshop

Correction: pencil in Paint.exe
Take screenshot reduce brightness #update
It literally looks like any lfs screenshot with a black layer with 50% opacity put over it... damn.
It's just a "fixing lighting/shadows" update, disguised as "Graphical Overhaul" kek.
Quote:Thanks but the development isn't stagnant. In fact LFS is undergoing a major graphical overhaul at the moment.
( https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1931342#post1931342 )

But that's more work for Eric, who now has to "revisit" all tracks (I'd guess Rockingham,
new Blackwood and new Westhill included, according to his post) and apply those new "shaders" and etc.
Quote:The specular reflections don't just appear automatically. Eric must visit each track and do an update to take full advantage of the new shaders. He is working hard updating the existing tracks and the results are very nice.
( https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1933469#post1933469 )

Screenshot of South City rn, same place (AA and Texture Filtering doesn't change anything): Only difference is shadows for lamp posts and "defined" shadows
[Image: NN4eIWS.jpg]
There are some differences. Lampposts as you said, bushes and real shadows not just fake blur shadows. See the bridge:

[Image: ConfusedUnfinishedFrillneckedlizard-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: rWuErYR.png]
love it Renegade
Now with Bez s picture difference is noticable but no way near to close up with newer sims.
Omg, the most uninteresting update. Is that really what he's wasting his time on?!

RIP LFS /Mellow
(2018-03-02 12:13)Ras Wrote: [ -> ]Omg, the most uninteresting update. Is that really what he's wasting his time on?!

RIP LFS /Mellow

It would be interesting if he was even vaguely confident that it would enable day/night transitions in the not-so-distant future, but he's even ruled that out basically.
(2018-03-02 12:13)Ras Wrote: [ -> ]Omg, the most uninteresting update. Is that really what he's wasting his time on?!

RIP LFS /Mellow

I guess that's what he found interesting for himself this time W00t
Sad Sad
Why in the hell would one person attempt do such an unnecessary update and delay what the public really wants...

Really puts into perspective where the three loonies put their customer base at in terms of importance. Right at the very [avoidance of filter removed] bottom. Thanks Scawen.

Well, since you ask about the physics, I might as well say, although I am very well aware and should point out that plans may change.

I'm really working as hard as I can on the graphics ....

Nice curve. Asshat

Get rid of your stupid visual updates and just solely focus on the physics and tracks and what not - the stuff that actually matter. Why dress a 14 year old game to try to beautify it when it's clearly not able to compete against new gen games like FM or AC. LFS has (or had) the factor running for it which was the physics and unique tracks, and now it's slipping away to obvilion.

So... great.
We waited this long and the only major update (if graphical improvements even classify as bloody major updates) will be stupid casting and shadowing?

I wonder why no one has bothered to attempt a buyout of LFS and merge it or transform it into a company with actual capable, well performing, sane staff in it... go think..

@Renegade
[Image: 7ce1227b5184291a8258c1245ab26445.png]
Stop being an idiot Nova, it's his thing and he does what he wants to do. If he was out there to please the community then tyre physics would have been done years ago, i'm sure. Instead he keeps putting it off to work on the things he wants to work on. If you really want to see better progress then i'm sure supporting him instead of calling him a bellend would be a start...

If you want updates so bad just go to another sim, i'm sure Scawen wouldn't miss you.
What modern day company doesn't listen to their consumers and better still, doesn't attempt to rectify issues and please the crowd?

It's almost scary how slow the development is, and when something does come out - how unnecessary it is. We all would like to see something that we yearn for be released, not some iffy graphical update that does crap all and is at the very bottom priority in a simulator focusing on driving realism and priding itself on the physics (old physics).

Sugar coating it doesn't help, when it's taken 10 years for one person to come out of his dungeon and say "we're finally starting progress for tire physics".

Being supportive - who said I wasn't? If you look on the main forum, we urge him to do updates and give him ideas on what's best. Although futile, since he doesn't care.

I'm only here on LFS because I won the licence in a giveaway (thanks Kris!). I'm not well off so I guess I have every right to make suggestions and try to make LFS better, not just for me, but for everyone else in return.
I'm slowly raking cash in through guitar work to either wait for F1 2018, or merge into iRacing and AOR's leagues within those two. But while that happens, don't take the piss out of me for taking the piss out of someone who takes the piss on developmental rates. @Adam

Yeah.
It's pretty clear this is their hobby and that they're going to do what they want, when they want. They don't have any shareholders to please, so they can focus on the areas that they see fit to focus on. When we got our licenses, there was no list of promised features in the sales contract, so it doesn't make sense to cry about how Scawen guaranteed we'd get X and Y. He's told us about what he's working on putting into the game, but at no point has there been a dead set promise that we'd have Z feature by a certain date. It's even better for you, Nova, as you're not financially committed to LFS if you won a license. The rest of us have spent £24/36 for S2/3 so it's understandable that we might want to see a return for our investment. At the end of the day, slamming Scawen for his progress on a third party forum is a pointless pursuit and you're only getting yourself worked up. Scawen doesn't really respond to critics on his own forum at the best of times, rather he digs his heels and doubles down on what he wants to do, so I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve here.
(2018-03-08 14:45)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]What modern day company doesn't listen to their consumers and better still, doesn't attempt to rectify issues and please the crowd?

Companies usually do this because they have to. Because it brings the bread to the table. If the guys don't deem that necessary and they get enough revenue from LFS and whatever other jobs they might be working on the side or full-time, they can do whatever the hell they want.

Scawen's never been a crowd-pleaser, he didn't create Live For Speed in search of fame or massive sales numbers. He did it because it was (and is) fun, and if it is also a functional source of income? Great! Excellent!

I'm sure he would just either keep at it or do some other coding excercises if the playerbase buggered off entirely.
(2018-03-08 14:45)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]What modern day company doesn't listen to their consumers and better still, doesn't attempt to rectify issues and please the crowd?

They aren't a company, it is just a couple of guys making a game. (I say a couple because Victor is the web developer and has another job) Think of it as an indie game.

(2018-03-08 14:45)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]It's almost scary how slow the development is, and when something does come out - how unnecessary it is. We all would like to see something that we yearn for be released, not some iffy graphical update that does crap all and is at the very bottom priority in a simulator focusing on driving realism and priding itself on the physics (old physics).

Nick couldn't have said it better, it's more of a hobby, they don't have shareholders to please, they focus on what they think is good to focus on.

(2018-03-08 14:45)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]Being supportive - who said I wasn't? If you look on the main forum, we urge him to do updates and give him ideas on what's best. Although futile, since he doesn't care.

Urging someone to do something isn't really support, especially the way you do it over there. If you want to support someone then don't urge them to do something, say what they are doing is cool or other generally nice comments is a good way to support someone if you don't have any money to put into the game. Asking someone to finish something isn't support, it's a suggestion...

(2018-03-08 14:45)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]I'm only here on LFS because I won the licence in a giveaway (thanks Kris!).

So you are bad mouthing the developer of a game you didn't pay for and have had for around a year? (Well, you have had the licence content for about a year) Even if you had put money into this then i wouldn't really understand why you're making these insults, but you are a lucky guy who won a licence and gets to play it for free and you still have the cheek to call the developers bellends...

(2018-03-08 14:45)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]I'm slowly raking cash in through guitar work to either wait for F1 2018, or merge into iRacing and AOR's leagues within those two.

Please don't come to iRacing, in a sim like iRacing you really need a wheel and without one you wouldn't even be able to stay on the track. And if you are like this to Scavier then i wonder what you would think of iRacing's bugs from the latest build.
(2018-03-15 17:42)Adam Wrote: [ -> ]They aren't a company, it is just a couple of guys making a game. (I say a couple because Victor is the web developer and has another job) Think of it as an indie game.
Aren't they registered or something? Like a company, of sort? Unless LFS has always been "Beta" like (either) scawen or eric said once on the forum, then darn.

(2018-03-15 17:42)Adam Wrote: [ -> ]Nick couldn't have said it better, it's more of a hobby, they don't have shareholders to please, they focus on what they think is good to focus on.
Well alright, I'll give you that.

(2018-03-15 17:42)Adam Wrote: [ -> ]So you are bad mouthing the developer of a game you didn't pay for and have had for around a year? (Well, you have had the licence content for about a year) Even if you had put money into this then i wouldn't really understand why you're making these insults, but you are a lucky guy who won a licence and gets to play it for free and you still have the cheek to call the developers bellends...
Well, try living in Singapore with work discrimination, retarded foreign worker intake, big socio economic gaps, and a family that isn't well off. Then you'll see why I would want LFS to be better than it is, because it's all I've got at the moment. And "part-timing to get cash, to buy the game, why not?" is hard when you keep getting selected for off-site college competitions even on the holidays which just throws my free time to the shitter.
Or you could just ignore all of this because everyone has a higher SC status who can afford an overpriced 40 pound game with half the features of any modern simulator. Food for thought.

(2018-03-15 17:42)Adam Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't come to iRacing, in a sim like iRacing you really need a wheel and without one you wouldn't even be able to stay on the track. And if you are like this to Scavier then i wonder what you would think of iRacing's bugs from the latest build.

Lol, I am getting a wheel, just sold my DFGT because I couldn't bond with the little stud spst dongle paddle shift at the back of the wheel, annoyed the hell out of me.

But, all this is in the future. Not even sure if my latency issues will cause problems for other drivers in iR but I'm not sure how the netcode is there, I suppose it's better than the jiggling teleporting stuff we have here in LFS.

And think of it this way - I could be here :
[Image: Sandy_at_Sepang_Aug09_a.jpg] for JK BMW series in 2012 after a F1 roadshow pickup offer by manager David (i think? lol) ,
But I turned the development training offer down, and I'm where I am now with a great educational opportunity.
Just that I don't have a personal wheel right now, but that might change.
Lel.

@AOR Nova If you need become Developer in LFS? what will you do? xD
Reference URL's